announce message

Subject: [announce] LRC 2002 Conferene Programme (12-13 November 2002,O'Reilly Hall, Dublin)

            Please accept our apologies should you receive
                     multiple copies of this email.

         7th Annual Localisation Conference organized by the LRC
                     LRC 2002 - eContent Localisation
                           www.localisation.ie
                           November 12-13, 2002
                             Dublin, Ireland

   in cooperation with ELECTonline and University College Dublin (UCD)

                              supported by
                     European Union eContent Programme
             The Institute of Localisation Professoinals (TILP)
              Globalization and Localization Association (GALA)
               Professional Association of Localization (PAL)
    OASIS - Org. for the Advancement of Structured Info. Standards
                        The Localization Institute

For programme updates and further news visit our web site:

                       www.localisation.ie

We look forward to seeing you at LRC 2002 - eContent Localisation!

Pre-Conference Workshop
Monday, 11 November 2002
09:00	Registration
09:30	WelcomeReinhard Schäler, LRC
09:45	Session 1: Global Software Development - Proposal for a Postgraduate
      Course
      Annette McElligott, University of Limerick
10:30	Coffee Break
11:00	Session 2: Localisation Training for Translators and the Professional
      Field of Translation - The Dutch Connection
      Han van de Staaij and Marcel Thelen, University of Maastrich, NL
12:30	Lunch Break
14:00	Session 3: Striking a Balance Between Basic Research and Liberal
      Education, and Economic Growth and Vocational Training
      Tim Altanero, Community College Austin, Texas, USA
15:30	Coffee Break
16:00	Session 4: Discussion: The Localisation Teaching and Training Network
      (LttN)
      Moderator: Reinhard Schäler, LRC
16:30	Close
17:00- 18:30 LRC Industrial Advisory Board (members only)

LRC 2002 - eContent Localisation
Tuesday, 12 November 2002
08:30	Registration
09:00	Official Opening of the Conference, Exhibition and European eContent
      Village
         Arthur Cater, Department of Computer Science, UCD
         Reinhard Schäler, LRC, University of Limerick
09:15	Keynote Address: Developing eContent for the Global Market
         Patrick Gannon, CEO OASIS, USA
10:00	Break and Exhibition
      eContent Village: Product Demonstration (1)
10:30	Session 1: eContent Localisation Case Studies
         Chair: David McDonald
	Localisation/Adaptation of Financial Products in Microsoft
         Liam Cronin, Microsoft
	From Translation Memory to Authoring Memory
         Diana Ballard, Logos Group, Italy
	Marketing and Localisation
         Jesús Maroto, Director Localisation, Euro RSCG, UK
12:00	Lunch, Exhibition and Product Demonstrations
      eContent Village: Product Demonstrations (2,3,4)
13:30	Session 2: Localisation Practice in India
         Chair and Introduction: Pat Hall
	Multimedia Localisation
         Tapan Parikh, Media Lab Asia, Mumbai/India
	Linux Localisation
         Venketash Hariharan, IndLinux, India
14:30	Session 3: Global Content Management
         Chair: John Malone
	Linguistic Technology Breakthroughs in Globalisation Management Systems
         Clove Lynch, Principal Product Manager, GlobalSight, USA
	Collaborative Globalisation Content Management
         Michael Roche, Senior Architect/Development Manager, IBM
15:30	Break and Exhibition
      eContent Village: Product Demonstration (5)
16:00	Session 4: eContent Localisation: Technology & Client/Vendor
Perspective
         Chair: Arthur Cater
	Organizing Large Scale eContent Localization Projects
         Dirk Metzger, Translation Manager, SAP, Germany
	eContent Challenges
         Fiona Agnew, Vendor Development Manager, Novell
	eContent Localisation Services Strategies
         Vincent Henderson, Director Online Services Practice, Bowne Global
	XLIFF - Update on the XML-based Localisation Interchange File Format
         Peter Reynolds (Manager, Development Team, Bowne Global Solutions)
         Tony Jewtushenko (Oracle and Chair XLIFF Technical Committee,
OASIS)
18:00	Close

18:00	The Localisation Forum - Organizations supporting the localisation
      industry explore opportunities for cooperation (by invitation only)

19:30	TILP Social Event

Wednesday, 13 November 2002
08:30	Registration
08:30	Keynote Address: The Global Market for eContent
         Don dePalma, Common Sense Advisory, Inc.
09:15	Session 1: eContent Localisation - Approaches and Infrastructure
         Chair: Patti McCann (tbc)
	ELECTonline - Europe's Localisation Portal
         Angelika Haas, LRC, University of Limerick
	The ELMA eContent Localisation Maturity Assessment Model
         Jonathan Sage, PwC Consulting
	Localisation - A New Model
         Donald Barabe, Head of Localisation, Canadian Bureau of Translation
10:30	Break and Exhibition
         eContent Village: Product Demonstration (1)
11:00	Session 2: eContent Localisation Technology
         Chair: Fiona Agnew
	Localisation Technology - Build or Buy?
         Tony O'Dowd
	The Implications of Fragmented eContent
         Richard Crinion, Technical Services Manager, SDL Ireland
	Building the Next Generation in Workflow Technology
         Damian Scattergood, STAR Ireland
12:30	Lunch, Exhibition and Product Demonstrations
         eContent Village: Product Demonstrations (2,3,4)
14:00	Session 3: Translation Vendor Web Services Standards
         Chair: Alan Barrett
	The business perspective
         Jaap van der Meer, Consultant
	Use Case for Translating Oracle Technology using Web Services
         Tony Jewtushenko, Senior Tools Program Manager, Oracle Corporation
	Building Web Services Made Simple
         Bill Looby, Software Architect Web Globalisation Technologies, IBM
         Peter Reynolds, Manager Development Group, Bowne Global Solutions
15:30	Close

Post-conference Workshop
The Translation Vendor Web Services Group - Inaugural Meeting
15:45	Opening and Welcome
         Reinhard Schäler, LRC, University of Limerick
15:50	The Translation Vendor Web Services Standards Group
      Background
      The Preparatory Phase (report)
      Current Status and Plans
      Conditions for Joining
16:35	Discussion
17:30	Close

ELECT Expert Group Meeting
Thursday, 14 November 2002
09:30 - 13:00 (followed by lunch)
Montrose Hotel
Donnybrook
Dublin 4
The first meeting of the ELECT Expert Council will take place following the
LRC 2002 Conference.

The ELECT project
ELECT, The European Localisation Exchange Centre, is a project funded by the
European Union’s eContent Programme. It is based at the LRC and run in
partnership with Bowne Global Solutions (Germany).

ELECT Expert Group
Localisation Experts can apply for membership of the Expert Group through
the LRC’s web page (www.localisation.ie) or by contacting the ELECT project
manager, Angelika.Haas@ul.ie, directly.

Aim
The aim of the meeting is to review with the Expert Council details of the
ELECT project, the accomplishments so far as well as work in progress.

Cost
There will be no registration fee for this meeting (meeting material,
refreshments and lunch included).

Preparation
Registered members will receive preparatory material ahead of the meeting

Agenda: The European Localisation Exchange Centre - Review
09:30	Opening and Welcome
         Reinhard Schäler, LRC, University of Limerick
09:45	Introduction and Overview
         Angelika Haas, Project Manager
10:00	electonline.org - The Localisation Portal
         Damian Scattergood
10:30	Courses: Internationalisation and Localisation of eContent
        Antóin ÓSlatara
11:00	LOTS - The Localisation Technology Laboratory and Showcase
        Rafael Guzman
11:30	ELECTawards
        Angelika Haas
11:45	Coffee Break
12:00	Discussion and Review
12:30	Planning
13:00	Close (followed by lunch)

===================================
Reinhard Schaler
Director
Localisation Research Centre (LRC)
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems (CSIS)
University of Limerick
Limerick
Ireland
Tel. +353-61-202730 (Department); +353-61-202881 (office); +353-61-213176
(direct); +353-87-6736414 (mobile)
Fax +353-61-202734