announce message

Subject: [announce] OASIS Member News: Australian Defense Air PublicationsAgency Deploys XyEnterprise XML Content Management and Publishing Solution

Australian Defense Air Publications Agency Deploys XyEnterprise XML Content
Management and Publishing Solution

Mission critical solution provides end-to-end content management, workflow,
and publishing functionality

READING, MA - November 12, 2002 - XyEnterprise, the leading developer of XML
content management and enterprise publishing solutions, announced today that
the Australian Defense Air Publications Agency (DAPA) has deployed an
enterprise-wide Document Management System (DMS) based on XyEnterprise’s
Content@ content management system and XML Professional Publisher (XPP)
publishing software. The mission critical content stored and published by
the system is used to support the wide variety of aircraft and systems in
use by the Royal Australian Air Force.

The XyEnterprise solution will revolutionize the management of DAPA’s
technical maintenance and operational publications, according to DAPA's
Officer in Charge Jon Anglin. “First, the system will allow us to author
publications in XML, which is format-neutral,” says Anglin. “This allows us
to publish the content anyway we like, such as in HTML, PDF, Postscript, or
on CD-ROM. When you shift to a format-neutral environment, the formatting of
the publications is strictly a system matter and the author’s only concern
is the content. Obviously this gives great increases in efficiency.”

The second key advantage of the XyEnterprise system is its ability to
streamline and manage thousands of DAPA’s existing publications. Mr. Harry
Stockdale, DMS Project Officer, described this aspect of the DMS, “Due to a
lack of standardization in the past, these publications may have been
authored in Word, FrameMaker, or other desktop tools. These files are stored
as whole documents in Content@ and edited in their native applications.
Content@ provides application interfaces that allow us to open and maintain
any legacy publication in its native format and publish it in various
formats, which is a tremendous benefit.”

Mr. Stockdale continued, "We also have a data migration program in place.
For critical publications authored in legacy editors, we are re-authoring
them in XML or SGML. For the paper-only publications we have a sophisticated
scanning/OCR system that overlays a grey scan of the pages with the OCR
text. This reduces scanning errors to near zero. The error-free scanned
pages are then processed into PDF files that become the new master
publications.” The scanned images are managed as PDF files in Content@ and
DAPA uses XyEnterprise’s XML Professional Publisher for the automated
composition of the SGML and XML content to print or PDF output.

The XyEnterprise solution positions DAPA to meet the challenge of
Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs). IETMs are highly complex,
linked modules of content that major defense suppliers in the USA and Europe
will be providing to users in the near future.

Mr. Anglin summarized their results, “We feel we have made good progress
towards a solution with the Content@ system. DAPA doesn't manage
publications anymore, it manages content. With this philosophy and what we
have learned to date, I think we are in good shape."

To learn more about using Content@ in a product support environment, please
enroll in XyEnterprise’s free Webinar, “Content@: The Future of Product
Documentation” presented on Thursday November 14 at 2 PM Eastern.
XyEnterprise will highlight the technology used to implement a product
documentation and support solution for aerospace, automotive, consumer
products and defense systems such as the one implemented for the DAPA.

About XyEnterprise

Xyvision Enterprise Solutions, Inc. (XyEnterprise) is the leading provider
of single source, multi-channel XML publishing solutions. Its XML content
management software - Content@ - and its automated XML publishing engine -
XPP - power sophisticated solutions for global leaders in the publishing,
technical documentation, financial, government, and e-Learning arenas.
XyEnterprise workgroup solutions with enterprise impact drive success for
its customers including Boeing, Bureau of National Affairs, Gulfstream, IBM,
Thomson and Thomson, Sun Microsystems, LexisNexis, and many others. For more
information, please contact XyEnterprise at 781.756.4400 or
www.xyenterprise.com <http://www.xyenterprise.com/>.

#	#	#

Copyright © 2002 Xyvision Enterprise Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.
Xyvision, XyEnterprise, Content@, ProServ and the swirl logo are trademarks
or registered trademarks of Xyvision Enterprise Solutions, Inc. All other
product and/or company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their
respective holders.