announce message

Subject: [announce] OASIS Advances Reliable Message Delivery for Web Services

OASIS Members Advance Reliable Message Delivery for Web Services

WS-Reliability Specification Submitted to OASIS

Boston, MA, USA; 26 February 2003 -- Members of the OASIS standards
consortium announced plans to collaborate on the development of a
generic and open model for ensuring reliable message delivery for Web
services. The new OASIS Web Services Reliable Messaging (WS-RM)
Technical Committee will work to establish a standard, interoperable way
of achieving reliability at the SOAP messaging level and potentially
with other messaging protocols.

The WS-Reliability specification, published by Fujitsu, Hitachi, Oracle,
NEC, Sonic Software, and Sun Microsystems, will be submitted as input
for the OASIS WS-RM Technical Committee. Other contributions are
welcome. The group plans to work closely with related OASIS Technical
Committees, such as the ebXML Messaging Services and the Web Services
Security teams, and with relevant efforts of other organizations, such
as the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Services Architecture Working
Group.

According to Thomas Koulopoulos, Delphi Group CEO, "Through WS-RM, OASIS
is once again demonstrating a leadership role in the movement towards
building a services-based architecture. The initiative is a critical
step forward in creating a solid foundation for virtualization and the
underlying, broad-based processes that are critical to its adoption."

"Interoperability, ease-of-implementation, and ease-of-use are our
fundamental goals," stated Tom Rutt of Fujitsu, chair of the OASIS WS-RM
Technical Committee. "We are determined to build on existing standards
wherever possible so that the results of our work will interoperate and
not overlap with Web services specifications that are being developed by
other open, recognized, standards bodies."

The OASIS Reliable Messaging specification will address message
persistence, acknowledgement and resending, elimination of duplicate
messages, ordered delivery, and delivery status awareness for sender and
receiver applications. It will provide WSDL definitions for reliable
messaging, and the message formats will be specified as SOAP headers
and/or body content.

Members of the OASIS WS-RM Technical Committee include Commerce One,
Cyclone Commerce, Fujitsu, Hitachi, IONA, NEC, Oracle, SAP, See Beyond,
Sonic Software, Sun Microsystems, webMethods, WRQ, and others.

Under the rules adopted by the OASIS WS-RM Technical Committee, each
participant has agreed to provide a free license to any of its
intellectual property rights which someone building a product to the
final technical specification would need. Participation in the technical
committee remains open to all organizations and individuals, and OASIS
will host an open mail list for public comment.

Industry Support for WS-RM

"Fujitsu is committed to contribute its expertise in high reliability
communication and messaging software to the OASIS WS-RM Technical
Committee in order to realize an open, royalty-free reliable messaging
specification for Web services," said Yasushi Ishida, General Manager of
Strategy and Technology Division, Software Group for Fujitsu Limited.
"We have already demonstrated the high level of our commitment to this
goal by our involvement in the collaborative publication of the initial
WS-Reliability draft specification, and by our leadership role in the
formation of the OASIS WS-RM Technical Committee. We are also very
honored to have Tom Rutt of Fujitsu serve as chair of this group."

"As a supplier of XML-based messaging technology for more than three
years, IONA is very pleased to support the proposal to charter a
technical committee at OASIS to develop a royalty-free reliable
messaging specification for Web services," said Eric Newcomer, CTO at
IONA. "A reliable messaging standard is key to wider adoption of Web
services in mission critical applications."

"Reliable messaging based on open standards is essential for Web
services to meet real-world business needs," said Don Deutsch, Vice
president of Standards Strategy and Architecture for Oracle Corporation.
"Oracle is pleased to co-sponsor the OASIS Web Services Reliable
Messaging Technical Committee and to contribute our enterprise software
expertise to this effort."

"By providing an open standard for a SOAP-based reliable transport,
WS-Reliability will help accelerate adoption of asynchronous Web
services, making them relevant for an even wider range of
standards-based integration across the extended enterprise and
cross-company collaboration challenges. Sonic Software is pleased to be
a sponsor of the OASIS WS-RM Technical Committee," said Dave Chappell,
vice president and chief technology evangelist, Sonic Software.

"Sun is pleased to work with other industry leading vendors to sponsor
this essential OASIS effort," said Mark Bauhaus, vice president Sun ONE
Java Web Services.  "The WS-RM work is a tremendous step forward in
terms of enabling complex business-to-business transaction and real time
enterprise application integration.  We encourage industry participation
and input from those vendors who share our unequivocal commitment to
open and royalty-free Web services standards."

About OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org)

OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information
Standards) is a not-for-profit, global consortium that drives the
development, convergence, and adoption of e-business standards. Members
themselves set the OASIS technical agenda, using a lightweight, open
process expressly designed to promote industry consensus and unite
disparate efforts. OASIS produces worldwide standards for security, Web
services, XML conformance, business transactions, electronic publishing,
topic maps and interoperability within and between marketplaces. Founded
in 1993, OASIS has more than 2,000 participants representing over 600
organizations and individual members in 100 countries.

For more information:

Carol Geyer
Director of Communications
OASIS (www.oasis-open.org)