announce message

Subject: Members Approve Web Services Business Process Execution Language (WS-BPEL) as OASIS Standard

** Link to this press release at
http://www.oasis-open.org/news/oasis-news-2007-04-12.php **

Members Approve Web Services Business Process Execution Language (WS-BPEL) as
OASIS Standard

Boston, MA, USA; 12 April 2007 -- OASIS, the international standards
consortium, today announced that its members have approved the Web Services
Business Process Execution Language (WS-BPEL) version 2.0 as an OASIS Standard,
a status that signifies the highest level of ratification. WS-BPEL uses Web
services standards to describe business process activities as Web services,
defining how they can be composed to accomplish specific tasks.

"The concept of BPEL that began in the earliest days of Web services has become
a cornerstone, not only for bringing more finely grained business processes
closer to the business department, but also for ensuring that common ways can
be constructed among technology providers designing frameworks for future
Service Oriented Business Processes," said Charles Abrams, Research Director at
Gartner. "The approval of WS-BPEL as an OASIS Standard should be noted as a
milestone in the fulfillment of the open Web services vision."

WS-BPEL defines a model and a grammar for describing the behavior of a business
process based on interactions between the process and its partners. The
interaction with each partner occurs through Web services interfaces. The
WS-BPEL process defines how multiple service interactions with these partners
are coordinated to achieve a business goal, as well as the state and the logic
necessary for this coordination.

"Think of a WS-BPEL process as a reusable definition that can be deployed in
different ways and in different scenarios, while maintaining a uniform
application-level behavior across all of them," said Diane Jordan of IBM,
co-chair of the OASIS WSBPEL Technical Committee. "WS-BPEL introduces
systematic mechanisms for dealing with business exceptions. This is essential
because not all transactions are straightforward and simple. WS-BPEL lets you
define how you want activities to be compensated in cases where exceptions
occur or a partner requests reversal."

WS-BPEL separates the public aspects of business process behavior from internal
or private aspects-and supports both. The standard can be used both for
executable processes, which describe the actual behavior of participants in
business interactions, and for abstract processes, that may be used to
represent publicly observable behaviors. Abstract processes serve a descriptive
role and allow for more than one possible use case.

"By providing a language for specifying both executable and abstract business
processes, BPEL extends the Web services interaction model to help better
support  business-to-business transactions," explained John Evdemon of
Microsoft, co-chair of the OASIS WSBPEL Technical Committee. "This protects
business partners from the need to reveal all their internal decision making
and data management to one another. Separating public from private processes
also provides companies with the freedom to change confidential aspects of the
process implementation without affecting the observable behavior."

WS-BPEL leverages other Web services standards such as SOAP and WSDL for
communication and interface description. By describing the inbound and outbound
process interfaces in WSDL, BPEL enables them to be easily integrated into
other processes or applications. In turn, this allows consumers of a process to
inspect and invoke a BPEL process just like any other Web service, thereby
inheriting all other aspects of a Web service such as quality of service
policies.

OASIS president and CEO, Patrick Gannon, observed, "WS-BPEL is a fine example
of the benefits that can be gained by open standardization and widespread
collaboration. The BPEL specification evolved considerably under the OASIS
process and  emerged stronger--a true, foundational standard for Web services
and SOA."

More than 37 organizations collaborated to develop WS-BPEL, including
representatives of Active Endpoints, Adobe Systems, BEA Systems, Booz Allen
Hamilton, EDS, HP, Hitachi, IBM, IONA, Microsoft, NEC, Nortel, Oracle, Red Hat,
Rogue Wave, SAP, Sun Microsystems, TIBCO, webMethods, and other members of
OASIS. Active Endpoints, IBM,  Intalio, SEEBURGER, and Sun Microsystems
verified successful usage of WS-BPEL, in accordance with eligibility
requirements for all OASIS Standards.  Several open source implementations of
WS-BPEL 2.0 are currently available or in development.

The WS-BPEL OASIS Standard and the archives of the OASIS WSBPEL Technical
Committee are publicly accessible. OASIS hosts the ws-bpel-dev mailing list for
exchanging information on implementing the standard.

Support for WS-BPEL OASIS Standards

Active Endpoints
"The approval of WS-BPEL 2.0 marks a significant milestone in the evolution of
service-oriented computing.  In much the same way that SQL provides a standard
data language for relational databases, BPEL provides a standard language for
service orchestration. Active Endpoints has been an enthusiastic contributor to
the development of WS-BPEL 2.0, and we look forward to participating in future
endeavors related to this critical standard," said Chris Keller, co-founder and
vice president of Product Development, Active Endpoints, Inc.

Adobe
"BPEL is already the industry foundation for orchestrating Web services. The
new WS-BPEL v2.0 standard is an important milestone that represents a
significant evolution of the original specification. WS-BPEL enables our
customers to build and deploy successful Web services and SOA projects that
scale with the organization as they add new partners, customers and services to
their infrastructure. We were pleased to work alongside other technology
vendors to develop WS-BPEL v2.0, and look forward to helping to accelerate its
adoption," said Charlton Barreto, Senior Computer Scientist and Architect at
Adobe.

BEA Systems
"BEA sees WS-BPEL 2.0 as a very important milestone in the ongoing effort to
align the industry behind a common technology for orchestrating services within
an SOA. This supports our efforts to serve our customers through aggressive
support of open standards," said Michael Rowley, BEA Technical director and
standards architect, in a statement released by the company.

HP
"As enterprises work to speed adoption of SOA, they need standards to ensure
business process interoperability, especially in multiple vendor environments.
HP SOA Systinet, a system-of-record for SOA business services, supports  the
latest WS-BPEL standard  through the Governance  Interoperability  Framework
(GIF), a widely-accepted method for integrating SOA-enabling technologies. This
will help our customers optimize the business outcomes of their SOA initiatives
by capturing business process related information," said Avrami Tzur Vice
President of SOA Software, HP.

IBM
"IBM's leadership in SOA has been built upon a foundation of standards and
service oriented principles.  IBM delivers Business Process Management (BPM)
enabled by SOA. Core to the execution of our process portfolio is Business
Process Execution Language (BPEL). We recognized the benefits and importance of
the BPEL specification at its outset and that's why we have built our process
technology based on it.  We are thrilled that OASIS has ratified the
specification as a formal standard, as this lays the foundation and a clear
path for increasing portability of processes, protecting customer investments,
reducing risk, and providing stability and a clear direction for the future of
process execution semantics," said Sandy Carter, Vice President, SOA &
WebSphere Strategy, Channels and Marketing, IBM.

Microsoft
"Microsoft is pleased with the OASIS approval of WS-BPEL, having been
supportive of and involved in the standardization process. We are further
driving interoperability by supporting this approval process as we committed to
ensuring customers have great solutions for this type of challenge," said Chris
Kurt, Group Product Manager of Connected Systems Division, Microsoft.

Oracle
"As one of the earliest supporters of BPEL, Oracle has been enabling production
BPEL customers for the past several years. The release of BPEL 2.0 is a
significant development for the industry and will serve to increase the already
strong momentum behind the BPEL standard.  In particular, our customers see
BPEL 2.0 as enabling a smooth evolution path from BPEL 1.1 and are excited to
see several key process orchestration requirements now included in the
standard," said Don Deutsch, vice president Standards Strategy and
Architecture, Oracle.

Rogue Wave Software
"Rogue Wave Software supports the OASIS decision to advance WS-BPEL as an
e-business industry standard in SOA. In approving the WS-BPEL 2.0 OASIS
Standard, not only will the business value of existing processes greatly
increase, by extending interoperability between applications using Web
services, but also will enable better support of automated process integration
within and across organizations. The OASIS announcement will allow Rogue Wave
to continue to successfully deliver high performance SOA software products
based upon the SCA model," said Patrick Leonard, Vice President of Product
Development at Rogue Wave Software.

SAP
"SAP considers the process definition capabilities of WS-BPEL as one of the key
building blocks for enterprise SOA. We plan to enhance the existing SAP
NetWeaver support of BPEL4WS 1.1 with a WS-BPEL 2.0 implementation. We are
excited about the standardization of WS-BPEL, which will significantly enhance
our ability to offer service-based integration processes to our customers,"
said Michael Bechauf, Vice President Industry Standards at SAP.

Sun Microsystems
"We are very happy to see the excellent progress that WS-BPEL 2.0 has made. Sun
Microsystems and other partner companies drove the design of the WS-BPEL v2.0
OASIS Standard. We're focused on its use in composite application development
to meet our customers' needs for service integration in a pluggable
service-oriented infrastructure. You can see today how we have leveraged
WS-BPEL v2.0 as a service engine which plugs into the Java Business
Integration-based, SOA platform in Open ESB - our open source development
community," said Dale Ferrario, VP, SOA/Business Integration, Sun Microsystems.

TIBCO
"The approval of WS-BPEL 2.0 as an OASIS Standard is an important endorsement
for assuring companies globally that they can successfully advance their
service-oriented and event-driven architectures with ease. As a key contributor
and active participant in the making of the specification, we believe BPEL 2.0
will help to address the growing complexity around orchestration," said Matt
Quinn, senior vice president of Product Strategy, TIBCO.

webMethods
"BPEL's importance is in providing users with a standardized runtime execution
language for business processes.  This streamlines deployment of new processes,
enhances portability and reduces total cost of ownership. The WS-BPEL 2.0
standard extends this value proposition with enriched support for collaborative
business processes.  Enterprises can now more easily share process models
beyond the firewall while preserving the confidence of their corporate data and
intellectual property. We're proud to have served as the specification's editor
as this standard can play an important role in extending the value of current
SOA and BPM investments," said Marc Breissinger, CTO, webMethods, Inc.

Additional information:

OASIS WSBPEL Technical Committee:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsbpel

Cover Pages Technology Report:
http://xml.coverpages.org/bpel4ws.html

About OASIS:

OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards) is
a not-for-profit, international consortium that drives the development,
convergence, and adoption of e-business standards. Members themselves set the
OASIS technical agenda, using a lightweight, open process expressly designed to
promote industry consensus and unite disparate efforts. The consortium produces
open standards for Web services, security, e-business, and standardization
efforts in the public sector and for application-specific markets. Founded in
1993, OASIS has more than 5,000 participants representing over 600
organizations and individual members in 100 countries.
http://www.oasis-open.org

Press contact:

Carol Geyer
OASIS Director of Communications