OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

arip message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: RE: Meeting Minutes: 4 June 2015

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the meeting minutes. I have added Greg Babb to the attendee list.


Farhad H. Patel


5340 Legacy Drive, Suite 175, Plano, TX 75024

469-277-5859 (w) 214-335-5116 (c)



From: arip@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:arip@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Hudson, Scott
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 11:32 AM
To: arip@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [arip] Meeting Minutes: 4 June 2015


OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) Technical Committee

Meeting Minutes: 4 June 2015



The OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) Technical Committee met on Thursday, 4 June 2015

at Thursday, 04 June 2015, 10:00am to 11:30am CDT.


1. Welcome and Roll call



  • Rhonda Truitt
  • Farhad Patel
  • Sally Martir
  • Alex Tusa
  • Todd Youngblood
  • Paul Davies
  • Michael Hlibchuk
  • Scott Hudson
  • Ray Gallon
  • Christine Perey
  • Greg Babb



2. Volunteer for note-taking

Scott Hudson


3. Goals and deliverables (how many do we want for first year? or three year plan?) Examples: AR Glossary, Promoting ARIP, Educating Tech Comm Community About  AR, Educating AR Community about Tech Comm, Collecting examples in Tech Comm, How to select a good candidate for Augmented Reality, spec outline, spec sections, etc.


a. Big news: Apple acquired Metaio on May 28. Feeling is that it bodes well for advancement of AR. Question: will this change to be more consumer oriented or technically oriented? Daqri was excited to hear the news for the industry, even thought they are a competitor. Apple could be expected to contribute a lot of funds into research in this area. AR developer conference was cancelled and support for Metaio was immediately halted. Apple does have a number of AR-related patents.


b. Existing use of AR in tech comm. Need to brainstorm how to collect this information, how to quantify the problems they are experiencing, existing best practices, examples.


Paul suggested first look: automotive industry (service and user manuals) BMW, Ford, Audi, Volkswagen, Arvato, Reflekt

Christine: Juergen Lumera, Bosch - written numerous articles for Tekom, common AR platform; Farhad has already tried to reach out, but others are also encouraged to do so.

still a lot of hand-crafting involved in current AR implementations

Need to get direct feedback from information developers


What are we asking of them?

  examples of what has been done with AR

  pain points

  best practices

What are we providing?

  framework and specification

  memo explaining the benefits


Farhad (explaining benefits): AR is the future of technical communication. We need to influence the direction of how this content is created and delivered. The technology is now starting to impact how people consume information. Need a consistent, common standard rather than walled up in proprietary solutions. Standards help drive interoperability.


ACTION: Rhonda to talk to Chet to set up an OASIS wiki to document the use cases, examples, pain points, best practices. Scott to help set up the wiki.


ACTION: Farhad, Ray, Greg to create the memo to send to potential contacts. 


ACTION: Christine to send link and sample letter (IEEE) to the list (arip@lists.oasis-open.org)


4. Creation of subcommittees to support goals and deliverables


a. AR Glossary (similar to Language of Technical Communication, Language of Content Strategy, Mind Map of terms)


b. Quick win (demonstration) to show benefits of joining the effort.


c. Farhad, Rhonda to present a webinar for Comtech on AR


d. Sally to present at STC Summit at end of month to highlight ARIP


h. Outreach – Scott Hudson?


Educating Tech Comm about AR


Educating AR about Tech Comm


Publications/Conferences, etc.


5. Assignments of responsibilities: liasons between other organizations; what other roles do we need (TC secretary, spec editors, web master, etc?)


a. Ray - liason between TC and other orgs (STC)


b. Greg, Rhonda - glossary


c. Sally - webmaster


d. Secretary – TBD


E. Outreach SC – Scott Hudson


6. Any other business


a. Video conference/screen sharing for future meetings?


ACTION: Farhad to explore options for next meeting: mikogo? others? 


7. Adjourn

Next meeting: Thursday, 18 June 2015, 10:00am to 11:30am CDT



Thanks and best regards,


Scott Hudson

Senior Consultant

Comtech Services Inc.

710 Kipling Street, Suite 400

Denver, CO 80215




Comtech Logo 2005 small


[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]