arip message

Subject: Fwd: New EPRI Report Explains Why AR Interoperability is Important and Provides Most In-Depth Study of Relevant SDOs and Standards

Dear ARIP team,

I don’t know if all of you are aware of this report - it was just released today. The report comprises a very comprehensive look at current standards in the AR space. ARIP is mentioned.

Best Regards,
Scott

Scott Simmons
Executive Director, Standards Program
Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
tel +1 970 682 1922
mob +1 970 214 9467

The OGC: Making Location Count…

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Simmins, John" <jsimmins@epri.com>
Date: May 31, 2017 at 6:28:36 AM MDT
To: Undisclosed recipients:;

Hello,

This report is the culmination of an EPRI-sponsored research project designed to inform those in power and energy industry, as well as the broader community of stakeholders, about the importance of interoperability to the success of Augmented Reality and to jump-start the processes necessary to reduce obstacles to interoperability.

In a manner, similar to the work initiated by the SmartGrid Interoperability Panel (NIST) for Smart Grid, this report proposes an interoperability framework and describes the current landscape of relevant standards in the context of the new framework as well as in the AR authoring, publishing and presentation pipeline and the MAR Reference Model. Never before have all the different standards activities that have been started and could contribute to interoperable AR, been cataloged and described in one convenient and public report.

The release of this report is a milestone, but only as important as that which follows. Interoperability is still poorly understood by many stakeholders and difficult to achieve in the best of circumstances. That means this report is more than a catalog to capture the status of standards in early 2017. It is released at no cost and without restriction so that it can become a discussion starter and the basis for many types of workshops, meetings and stakeholder collaboration. The cover image we chose focuses on the interoperability problem and the need for multiple stakeholder to focus and collaborate on the topic.

It is also a living document. We invite you to contribute to the discussion and, so that we may include them in updates, to let us know about your activities as new standards and/or activities emerge.

Finally, we wish to thank you for your help now to get out the word about this report (share the link!) and its goals to your colleagues.

We remain at your disposal if you have any comments or feedback, or if we can support your future work to ensure open and interoperable Augmented Reality.

Warm regards,

John J. Simmins, Ph.D.
Technical Executive
Information & Communication Technology (ICT) Program
Power Delivery and Utilization Sector
EPRI_logo_003399_258x58-50
Electric Power Research Institute
942 Corridor Park Blvd.
Knoxville, TN  37932
office: 865-218-8110 | cell: 301-848-5153
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” – Aristotle

Connect with EPRI:
http://www.EPRI.com

*** This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Unless otherwise expressed in this message by the sender or except as may be allowed by separate written agreement between EPRI and recipient or recipient’s employer, any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others of this message is prohibited and this message is not intended to be an electronic signature, instrument or anything that may form a legally binding agreement with EPRI. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and permanently delete all copies of this message. Please be advised that the message and its contents may be disclosed, accessed and reviewed by the sender's email system administrator and/or provider. ***