Subject: RE: [asap] Factory in ASAP

Title: RE: [asap] Factory in ASAP

>> Your other example is with 1,200,000,000 operations. Again I am puzzled.
>> Why not to have just 4 operations Create, CheckStatus, Change, and Cancel
>> while passing an SSN as a parameter(part)?

Of course, in this case it would probably be better to do what you suggest.
The example was bad, but all I was using it for was to show that factories can
be "virtual".  A better example might be that the factory address includes the
name of a Java class which is a servlet to be invokved.  Or it even could specify
the method on a particular class.  The point is that there does not need to
be any additional overhead just because there are a number of "factories".

>> I think the mechanism of Web Service instantiation
>> should be left to framework providers.

Of course it should.  Please don't confuse the creation of a web service
with the creation of an Asynchronous Service Instance.  Creating an instance
of the service, is not really creating a new web service.  Just like creating
and instance of an object is not creating any new methods.

>> We have prototype Web Services ... and nowhere had to worry about "factories"

As I mentioned, there are an unlimited number of ways to do things.  The need for
factories comes only from wanting to link to systems that expect factories.
You probably never did this.

Let me repeat my request from before:  Describe what must be done to link
two systems at run time together such that one can start a long term process,
update it later, check its status, and terminate it if necessary.  It is from
the dynamics of this linking that the advantages of this approach appear.

(And think back to the beginning of the OO days when all the programmers
were pointing out that any program can be written without using OO constructs.
The difference lies not in the program, but in the ability to reuse it in
many different situations.)

-Keith Swenson

P.S.  We have some unfinished issue from an earlier conversion.  I was hoping that someone else would chime in, but since they have not I will follow with a separate message.