Subject: RE: [asap] Factory in ASAP

ASAP should seek the commonality to all long running webservices. The
core to wireless-friendly service protocol and workflow-friendly service
protocol should be identical.

Note the word CORE. I am very pleased with the exchange so far because
it brings the forefront what is CORE.

A wireless-fiendly protocol might not need monitor and control.
Workflow-friendly, manual-friendly and data-mining-friendly do need
monitor and control. A data-mining-friendly might need some things above
and beyond what workflow-friendly. (Would that we knew).

I take HTTP as a guide in thinking about such things. The absolute
fundamental method in HTTP is GET. Not every resource needs POST method.
Swenson has made it clear that for his needs he MUST have monitor and
control. Shenfield has made it clear that he MUST NOT be burdened with
monitor and control.

To use the HTTP analogy, Swenson MUST have the POST method, or the
protocol is useless to him. Shenfield MUST NOT be required to implement
POST and still be HTTP compliant.

Does that make sense, or have I taken the analogy too far?