Subject: RE: [asap] Minimum requirements

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 11:57, Keith Swenson wrote:
> Generally I like your proposal.  A couple comments.
>
> (1)
> Could others on the list comment on the name 'factory', please?  It is
> common for people to be concerned of the concept of having to use a
> factory to create an instance.  Once the concept is understood, I
> generally have found the name factory to be clear.  I can go along
> with these new names, but before we change them, I want to be sure:
> does changing the name really make the approach more palatable, or was
> it just that you needed to come around to understanding the necessity
> of the pattern?

[Ricker] The trouble I see with the term "factory" is that developers
immediately think of a specific object when we actually mean a URI.
There may be one object for all asynchronous services, or one object may
handle the factory and all of its instances. There is no correlation
between an asynchronous service factory and an object factory other than
the _concept_ or the _pattern_.  ASAP is only concerned with the URI and
the XML posted to that URI. Whatever is behind that URI is irrelevant.

> (2)
> Data should NOT be request data and response data.  Why?  The
> "response data" gets sent as part of a "request" to the observer.
> Request and Response are concepts deeply enshrined in a particular
> interaction.  The concept of context and result is completely
> different, and it will be way too confusing.

[Ricker] The response gets sent as part of the request? What?!?

I see XML goes into a black box and XML comes out later on. The XML that
goes in is the request data. The XML that comes out is the response
data. How are context and result _completely_ different?

> [...]
> result.  Why not one structure?  Because while the structure can be
> specified using XML Schema, it is impossible to specify what parts of
> this structure flow in which direction:  what parts are IN, what parts
> are OUT, and what parts are IN/OUT.  Data fields need to play all
> three of these roles (as well as data that is local to the process and
> neither settable nor readable, but that is unimportant to the
> protocol.)  I see two options:
>
> (3a)
> Use the context data as the IN data, and the result data as the OUT
> data.  Values that are both IN and OUT would appear in both structures
> at the same XPath position.  This is consistent with current
> documents.
>
> (3b)
> Define a single structure with all data in it.  Then define a separate
> list of XPath expressions for all parts of the process which are
> settable, and another list of XPath expressions for all parts that are
> readable.
>
> An example of (3a):
>
> <ContextData>
>     <Name>John Jones</Name>
>     <SSN>123-456-7890</SSN>
>     <Zip>34567</Zip>
> </ContextData>
> <ResultData>
>     <Zip>34567</Zip>
>     <Approval>true</Approval>
> </ResultData>
>
> In this case the name, SSN, and zip are input to the process instance,
> and might be able to set with a set properties command.  The purpose
> of the process is to get approval for something, to the result data is
> the Zip and the Approval value.  Zip can both be set and read because
> it appears in both structures at the same XPath.
>
> An example of (3b):
> <Data>
>     <Name>John Jones</Name>
>     <SSN>123-456-7890</SSN>
>     <Zip>34567</Zip>
>     <Approval>true</Approval>
> </Data>
> <Writeable>
>     <Item xpath="Name"/>
>     <Item xpath="SSN"/>
>     <Item xpath="Zip"/>
> </Writeable>
> <Readable>
>     <Item xpath="Zip"/>
>     <Item xpath="Approval"/>
> </Readable>
>
> One advantage of this is a single data structure, a single schema.
> While the separate list of access control is more cumbersome, it does
> open the possibilities that the access control might change over
> time.  For example, the total value might be able to change until the
> first approval, after which it becomes non-writeable.  One might be
> able to include as part of the state the parts of the data which are
> *currently* editable.  It also opens the door for access control which
> is user-dependent.  Somehow this seems better than defining two
> structures which have overlapping parts.

[Ricker] What you are proposing is way, way, way too RPC.

Webservices are much simpler. XML goes into a black box and XML comes
out. If by coincidence some elements are the same, so be it. We can see
by the schemas that the request data has some of the same elements as
the response data. Why complicate the matter?