Subject: RE: WfMC TC mail list and WfXML feedback.

I got this question from a Chi-Tsai Yang at Flowring, one of the companies who has volunteered to participate in the ASAP/Wf-XML demonstration planned for the Spring.  He asks a good question: what should happen if you do an HTTP GET to the URL of a resource.  My current implementation gives a explanatory page, but I am somewhat unhappy with that.  Whatever is decided should be the same for ASAP and Wf-XML so I copied both groups.

The resource is a resource after all.  The best representation of it is what is returned by a GetProperties request: it returns the properties of the resource.  I believe that an HTTP GET to the URL should return the same XML structure.  This would make it considerably easier to configure a service to use a resource because while the XML display in IE is crude, it does display the data in a way that a user can read things.  Every implementation must have way to generate a GetProperties response, so this is no additional work.

While XML is not as friendly as HTML, a style sheet could be used in conjunction with the XML to make a nicely formatted HTML page.  I believe this is secondary in importance.  The HTML representation of a resource is less useful because will not be a standardized, and different engines will do it differently.  Supplying XML and allowing the user to style it would yeild a consistent HTML for a given user at least across all implementations.

What do TC members think about this?
-Keith
-----Original Message-----
From: FLOWRING_JJ [mailto:jj1025@cm1.hinet.net]

3.  Another one interesting implementation issues:

     If we represent the resouces such as 'container', 'factory', 'instance' as URL,
     what behavior should happen if we use browser to open the URL? What we
     do now is to follow the convention of WebService/WSDL to display a welcome
     page for the resource. Is it proper practice in WfXML's case?

     This practice smooth the demonstration procedure of WfXML 2.0 on HTTP-based
     solution. Because we can provide some URL helpers in the welcome page
     for  the users to perform the WfXML 2.0 operations and obtain XML result. For
     example, in the welcome page for a 'factory', we can provide links to help perform
     'getProperties (on Factory)', 'getProcessDefinition (on Factory)', and
     'CreateInstance (on Factory)'.

     I think the practice help the test and trouble shooting when doing inter-op integration
     among several vendors.

Yang Chi-Tsai,

Flowring Technology.

http://www.flowring.com/