Subject: Re: WS-Events

It sounds like May 2004 for the specification, June for
interoperability demos.
We're on a schedule to release a revised draft every 15th of the month.

It appears that
in the Workflow community service instance state is managed in terms of
sets of activities,
in the Grid community as an explicit set of service data elements and
updates are in effect events,
and I suppose traditionally there's an implicit state where messages or
operations are implicit events.

Both ASAP and OSGI also have the idea of observers subscribing for
notifications,
in the case of ASAP the state change notifications are sent to the
observer,
in the case of OGSI an XML subscription expression (for use with XPath?)
describes when to notify the observer based on service element
(effectively state/substate) changes.

I've been sort of swayed that an explicit request for state change may
be appropriate
for the high level states for ASAP, and it appears that substates of
subprocesses for workflow
are handled by explicitly addressing the activity states,
but I still wonder if explicit events wouldn't be useful for
asynchronous service instances,
and I think the more perspectives, experiences, and relevant artifacts
available to our discussion the better.

Anxious to hear everyone's thoughts,
John