Subject: RE: ASAP and WS-CDL

Title: RE: ASAP and WS-CDL

As I understand it, WS-CDL "is aimed at being able to precisely describe collaborations between any type of party regardless of the supporting platform or programming model used by the implementation of the hosting environment."  It is supposed to be able to "describe" any possible collaboration.

ASAP is instead a particular set of SOAP messages for a particular collaboration.  The semantics of these messages are well defined.  For example: start service, get current status, update context, terminate service early, etc.

These standards are orthogonal and complimentary.  You should be able to "describe" an ASAP interchange using WS-CDL.  Right now, we use straight WSDL, but this does not give you an idea of what calls must be made first, and what responses can follow.

I have been very interested in getting a WS-CDL representation of ASAP.  It would be an interesting test of the generality of WS-CDL, and it would make it clear how the specifications are different, but so far there has been no one with sufficient interest in both areas.  Is this something you might be interested in tackling?

-Keith

Keith D Swenson, < kswenson at us . fujitsu . com >
Fujitsu Software Corporation
1250 E. Arques Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
(408) 746-6276 mobile: (408) 859-1005