Subject: RE: [asap] Inquiry about status or closure of this TC

Jamie,

Thanks for your note.

We would like to advance the current specification on the site to
official status.  In September (2006) called for an email vote, and
unianimous approval to call the current spec a "committee draft".  This
is the "asap02f.zip" document as you point out.  Since that time I have
been trying to find the time to find the technical requirements of
advancing to the next stage.  This is something I simply have been
putting off due to other (seemingly) more pressing issues.

You are correct in that there is has been little or no traffic in the
past few months.  The existing members consider the work done.  But we
have not yet attained an official status in the OASIS.  It is my
assumption that OASIS would like to see this happen.

Can you help me in understanding what the next step is?  Do I need to
reformat the document in a standard form (someone else mentioned to me
that this was necessary)?

-Keith Swenson

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:39 PM
To: asap@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [asap] Inquiry about status or closure of this TC

OASIS ASAP TC members:

    OASIS rules permit and in some cases require OASIS staff to
close a technical committee that falls below certain activity
indicators, such as no meetings or specification ballots for a six
month period, or the absence of progress towards achieving its goals
as set forth in its charter. [1]
    The ASAP technical committee has carried out some significant
discussions and developments of the proposed ASAP protocol and
specification, culminating in a credible advanced draft "2e"
uploaded in August 2005.  Since that time, however, there has been
only one message sent on the TC's list in 14 months.  We see no
indications of meetings held during the last year.   There also was
an updated draft specification "2f" sent to the TC list in May 2006,
but I am unable to detect whether any further progress has been made
or is expected.  The TC's charter [2] seemed to contemplate only the
production of a single final specification, so it is possible that
the work of the TC now is completed, unless there is a plan to
conduct further approvals or public reviews of the work.
    Would you please advise us, with a copy to this list, if members
of the TC with an interest in the work have a plan for its
reactivation and continuation?  We would be pleased to see the work
continue.  However, if we do not receive any reply, we will plan to
declare the project finished and close the TC in mid-November.
    We appreciate all of the contributions of the past and current
members of the TC.  Of course, in accordance with our policies, all
of that work will remain permanently available to implementers and
the public at [3] even in the event of a closure.

Best regards  JBC

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#2.15
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/asap/charter.php
[4] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=asap