bcm message

Subject: Web Services and Process definitions

Hi All,

I contacted one of my associates to see what they had for a definition of services.  The definition is at the attached PDF file.  They defined the term as web services and we were just using services.

I believe their definition is great for web services.  Can we change to web-services and processes?  Using these terms, we can articulate the differences.

mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Bloomberg [mailto:jbloomberg@zapthink.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 12:33 PM
To: LUBASH, MIKE
Cc: Ronald Schmelzer; OKIN, ERIC
Subject: Re: Great meeting you at the EDF conference!

Mike --

Good to hear from you! The word "Service" basically refers to an interface, while "Process" refers to a sequence of activities. In an SOA, however, processes should be exposed as Services (and can also be composed of Services), so in that sense, you might say many processes are Services.

I'm attaching a discussion of our definition of "Web Service" for you to review.

Thanks!

--Jason

LUBASH, MIKE wrote:
Hi Ron and Jason,

Yesterday at the OASIS Business Centric Methodology (BCM) Technical Committee teleconference,  an interesting issue was raised.  We were not able to identify an authoritative definition for a service that could be used to distinguishes it's unique features from a process.  We were trying to identify what are the distinguishing features  between the two and how  the features should be evaluated in making your selection of when to use a process and when to use a service.
This was being done independent of architecture.  Is the distinguishing feature based solely on architecture?

I know you have written numerous ZapFlash  newsletters on the services and SOA topic,  and I especially enjoyed the one entitled "Service-Oriented Process-- Thinking about Processes before Services,  but I was unable to find a good definition that could be used to contrast the differences.

A sample of some of the features we were kicking about were:  Connection, Capability, Procedural, Customer, Deliverable, Benefit, Coupling, Exchange Interface, etc.

Do you have a good authoritative source for the definitions of service, process,  that can be use to distinguish unique features.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this topic.

mike lubash
dfas-dtb
703.607.1166

[LUBASH, MIKE]