bdx message

Subject: RE: [bdx] New version of BDEA uploaded

At 2011-03-30 13:44 +0100, Mike Edwards wrote:
>And those UBL prefixes are a REAL turn-off - very complex and hard to parse.

They are XML well-formed and are no more
difficult to parse than any other namespace declaration.

>They are not a good model in my opinion.  They
>make a document that contains them pretty well unreadable.

A human reader of an XML document is interested
only in namespace prefixes and not in namespace
URIs ... once one accepts, say, the "cac" prefix
represents aggregate items and the "cbc" prefix
represents basic items by the URI that is used
for each, then one can easily distinguish between
"cac:Location" and "cbc:Location" when reading the element names.

The data model of UBL is, therefore, elegantly
and explicitly reflected in the use of namespaces
in the XML document.  Namespaces are an excellent
model for expressing the mixing of and the makeup
of XML vocabularies.  XML documents express
information in a machine-readable format, so XML
should be designed to best reflect what the
machine needs to know about the content.  Such
content often has more important nuances and
ramifications that a human reader doesn't
typically think about (but that doesn't make them less important).

But, that an XML version of a complex business
document (or any XML document) is readable or
unreadable by a human is only an issue in
disaster recovery or situational recovery when
tools designed to work with XML are not
available.  I'm not expecting production UBL
documents or BDX documents to be written by hand
or read by eye, so in my opinion such criticisms are out of scope.

I did not want to initiate the "everyone hates
namespaces" permathread in this forum, but I did
want to say these age-old complaints about
namespaces are unfounded and spread FUD
unnecessarily when raised in
discussions.  Computers do not get confused about
namespaces and readers handle namespace prefixes just fine.

I hope this is considered helpful.  I feel
obliged to respond because I worry such negative
comments will imprint on naïve novice end-users
before they can understand and appreciate that
perceived complexity is not there just to be
complex but that computers understand it all with
an express purpose in mind.  XML is all the better because of it.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training