bdxr message

Subject: RE: [bdxr] This weeks meeting

Pim, Dale,

Thank you both for this, and Pim for chairing tomorrow’s meeting in Kenneth’s absence.  I will see about incorporating your document into the wiki use cases, but it seems good that you shared your document directly with the TC.

I’d add a comment to yours below, Pim: in your first, ‘between service providers’ case below, the issue still arises as to how service providers agree to trust one another, notably including the agreed mechanisms by which they authenticate their own users to ensure that only ‘valid’ Connect requests are passed through on the network.  Those trust relationships could be bilateral, but most likely end up as part of some kind of multi-party Trust Framework (which might well include, as PEPPOL does, a CA).  So the difference between your two scenarios seems to me to be partly about each of the following:

a)      whether the parties operate these authentication mechanisms themselves versus using a service provider as their agent

b)      the different trust framework / mechanisms between the parties (or their service providers agents), and underlying that

c)       the different mechanisms for trusting / authenticating a user.

See the Id Cloud Intercloud Use Case document, Scenario 3 (Inter-cloud Trust Establishment) for some further thoughts on this.  At some point I’ll try to incorporate any relevant thinking from there, along with your document Pim, into revised use cases on the BDX wiki.  Some notions there that seem to me relevant here are:

·         Trust Framework: whether bilateral, between service providers, or a broader, multi-party governance structure such as PEPPOL

·         Trust Levels: levels of user verification / authentication that a service provider (or CA issuing end user certificates) implements as part of its Trust Framework Agreement(s), e.g.

o   “Basic, Direct”: verification of an addressable id (email, bank account) by delivery of a token or link to that address.  Clicking the link or reporting back the token value demonstrates ownership.

o   “Basic, Indirect”: verify ownership of other ids by emailing a link to an email address associated with that id in a public profile (e.g. webmaster email for a domain; company email from a DUNS profile etc)

o   “Strong”: verification of ownership of a domain by the existence of a DNS record published under that domain

·         Availability/Activation Status: whether the user confirms the existence of a live, back-end process corresponding to a public delivery channel / process (perhaps even a more granular ‘service level’ assertion)

Roger