bdxr message

Subject: Re: Minutes of BDXR TC meeting 21 January 2015

Dear Mark

You’re right, and I should probably have mentioned in the minutes that the project has quite a history already. As you correctly mention, the Standard Business Document Header (SBDH) was developed in UN/CEFACT and its latest version is from 2004. Since then users of the SBDH have added additional requirements, and a project in UN/CEFACT to produce an updated specification has been on its way since 2008. Several members of the TC (myself included) have at one time or another participated in, or taken an active interest in the UN/CEFACT project. I believe the project has been on standby for a couple of years now, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Several users and potential users of the SBDH have expressed requirements with more urgency than UN/CEFACT has been able to respond to, and so a number of groups (including UBL) have undertaken the task of creating a specification for a business document header/envelope that addresses the current market needs. (The concept of an “envelope” has been added along the way as it is an often-mentioned requirement to also create a container that allows its payload to be routed in a secure and confidential manner, for example in encrypted form). However, the nature of the business document header/envelope is that it must be both payload and transport protocol agnostic, and so it sits in between two chairs so to speak and does not belong in any of them. It was therefore suggested to the BDXR TC to take on the project as we, as a pure architecture group are concerned with neither content standards nor with transport protocols, but only with enabling network architectures based on the 4-corner model. The business document header/envelope is an important building stone and enabler in the 4-cornered model as it allows to confidentially route business documents across multiple hops and networks regardless of content standards and transport protocols.

As I know that you are one of the leading experts on this subject, I very much would like to encourage you to take an active role in the work. Also if you believe that the business requirements are already met by existing specifications or that the work should take place in a different forum, I do believe it is important for us to hear your opinion on the matter. The general feeling of the members of the BDXR TC is not as much who should develop the work product as much as it is that someone should develop it (as has been discussed at the past TC meetings and in other contexts as well), and it is as such that it was proposed to the TC. The intention of the TC with this project is solely to provide a suitable home for a business document header/envelope specification and to provide an agile vehicle with which a high-quality and usable work product can be brought to the market. We are not here to hijack any existing work, nor do we intend to compete with other groups. We are simply responding to what we understand is a somewhat urgent need for an updated business document envelope specification that addresses some actual and documented requirements not covered by any current specification.

Best regards,

Kenneth

From: <Crawford>, Mark
Date: Friday, January 23, 2015 at 9:06 AM
To: Kenneth Bengtsson, "bdxr@lists.oasis-open.org", "JOSTEIN FR�YR (jostein.fromyr@edisys.no)"

>Work on the Business Document Envelope (BDE) was kicked off today.

>The project is to create a standardized set of XML headers and an XML wrapper

>that can encompass any business document and can be routed across multiple

>networks and multiple hops. The BDE must as such be agnostic to both payload

>and transport protocol. The TC decided to name the work product the “Business

>Document Envelope” (abbreviated “BDE”).

UN/CEFACT developed this specification more than a decade ago.  Please see: http://seine.afnet.fr/referentiel/architecture_technique_1/documents/Standards/UNCEFACT/CEFACT_SBDH_TS_version1_3.pdf

Best Regards,

Mark Crawford

Standards Strategist, P&I ASCOT – Standards Excellence
SAP Labs LLC, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Suite 600, Washington D.C.

mark.crawford@sap.com

T +1 703 670 0920 M +1 703 485 5232