bdxr message

Subject: FW: [bdxr-comment] Comments to SMP spec

Dear all

I am in deep water here, so any input would be greatly appreciated.. This is what I can make out of it:

1) Remove the “PEM” from “PEM base 64 encoded X509 DER value”:

I think the commenter has a point here. We use “PEM base 64” consistently in the spec. My understanding of PEM is that it is a base 64 formatted X.501 DER certificate in between “BEGIN CERTIFICATE” and “END CERTIFICATE” lines of text, however that is not how it is currently implemented (at least not with the “BEGIN CERTIFICATE” / “END CERTIFICATE” lines). We had a discussion about this in PEPPOL a number of years back, and my feeling is that “PEM” is legacy from the first PEPPOL versions of SMP and should be removed.

Any thoughts?

2) Add ETSI EN 319 132 as informative / non-normative reference.

My opinion is that for something to be added as a reference, it must have some relation to the text of the specification. I’m not sure if that is the case here (and I might be completely wrong!). That’s not to say that we shouldn’t include the subject of XAdES digital signatures in the spec at some point, but perhaps this should be referred to a next version 1.1 or 2.0 of SMP?

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Kenneth