biometrics message

Subject: Re: [biometrics] Groups - SC 37 N5831 -- G.17 DRAFT Response uploaded

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your draft; I think it's good. Here is my feedback.

As you know, it seems like the word "performance" in our base document title triggered misinterpretation. When we created it, we could have (probably should have) named it 'Operational monitoring of biometrics systems'. We actually had it as an option - seen here and after that we explain why we chose the term 'Performance'. In short, one way to look at it, performance is the tip of the iceberg. Its existence is dependent on the sum of those other qualities: Reliability, Availability, Maintainability. But we realized after, that 'Operational monitoring and reporting' is the action and the common tool for tracking and controlling the specialized metrics in all four qualities.

With reference to your second piece: 'Much of OMAR has derived...'. I checked our base document to make sure.

It partially (performance-related) derives from the 19795 standards; it details the relations and the way it complements them and also some other SC37 standards and ongoing projects. It especially extends an appendix in 19795-5 regarding 'Operational system monitoring'. But it expands beyond just performance to also include reliability, availability, and maintainability which are, as noted, out of scope of those standards. So, OMAR essentially is 'Web services-based operational monitoring and reporting with focus on reliability, availability, maintainability, and performance in biometrics systems'.

Thus, as you refer to, OMAR is taking a holistic approach (for the mentioned four qualities) towards managing biometric system infrastructure. Hardware, software, or process are simply Units/Elements.

Regards, Babak