biometrics message

Subject: RE: BOPS TC Charter Comments

All,

Here are a few comments I came up with regarding the BOPS TC proposed charter. Let me know if you'd like to change/add/remove anything by Monday at 12:00 EST.

Thanks,
Kevin

---

Archived Charter: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-charter-discuss/201407/msg00000.html

As the chair of the OASIS Biometrics TC, I would like to submit the following comments on behalf of the TC:

General
- If this project heavily involves web services, consider putting this project in the OASIS Biometrics TC, which already has both biometrics and web service experts involved. You can view the charter at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/biometrics/charter.php

1b
- Statement of Purpose is unclear; what is BOPS and what will it solve?
- NIST 800-52 Revision 1, Section 3.1, paragraphs 1-2 advise to use TLS 1.1+; remove SSL from SOP and clarify that TLS 1.0 shall not be used.

1c
- Scope is unclear; what is BOPS and what will it solve?

2a
- Is there really NO other being done by another organization or SDO that has any similarities to BOPS? ? For example, biometric image quality might use ISO standards, interfaces to matchers & sensors might use specifications developed by the OASIS Biometrics TC.
- Please explicitly state which committees within each SDO you plan to coordinate with. Will this be a liaison relationship or joint work?
   -- Current committees with Biometrics expertise are the OASIS Biometrics TC, INCITS M1, ISO/IEC JTC 1 SC 37. ISO/IEC JTC 1 SC 27 may be in scope as it contains IT Security and Identity Management experts.

2b
- The first l TC meeting must have dial-in information (TC Process 2.3, paragraph 1; TC Process 2.10, paragraph 1)

---
Kevin Mangold
Information Technology Lab / Information Access Division / Image Group / Biometric Clients Lab
Office: 301-975-5628