bioserv-comment message

Subject: Public review comments for WSBD-v1.0-csprd015     Live Preview

Comment type [editorial | technical] ? technical

Impact [major | minor] ? minor

The meaning and use of the relationship element is unclear. Section 5.1 defines that it must start with "livePreview", but no reasoning is provided. Presumably, if there are multiple values, the client application should/could provide these as options in a select box?

Live preview that is easy to implement and support is going to be critical to widespread acceptance of this standard. This specification seems to indicate that "multipart/x-mixed-replace" is the way to accomplish this. This is easy to implement on browsers that support it, but you have to rely on browser detection scripts to determine if it is not supported. Section 6.15.2.2 recommends using a live stream to provide textual feedback, but offers no suggestions on how to implement this, or describe the implementation to the client. Server Sent events may provide a richer preview mechanism for some sensor types. This is also not supported by all browsers, but detection of support in javascript is much simpler - 'if (typeof(EventSource) !== "undefined")' The event stream can also be returned from a restful web service call. We used this in our working prototype implementation of wsbd sending events containing text sensorStatus, fingerQuality, and even base64 encoded preview images. We would like to see Content-Type:text/event-stream included in appendix B as an allowed mime type.

---