bpel4people-editors message

Subject: RE: [bpel4people-editors] Minutes : 16 July bpel4people-editors' SC telecon

OK... found what's up. SourceForge is doing data center migration. Amazing that this would be done mid week!

http://sourceforge.net/community/forum/topic.php?id=2836&page&replies=1

Hello,

Over the past couple of weeks, the Service Operations team has been preparing the Subversion infrastructure in the new Chicago datacenter.

The migration of Subversion service to the new datacenter is now scheduled for 2008-07-16 starting 04:00 Pacific for 12 hours during which the Subversion service will be in read-only mode. The read-only downtime will be used to complete the final data sync to Chicago, DNS changeover, and to perform a final round of production systems testing before service is made read-write again. We anticipate that no changes will be needed in Subversion client configuration or working copies.

In preparing to migrate the Subversion service, we have completed a full reimplementation of the service, with a number of substantial upgrades:

    * Subversion backend version has been upgraded from 1.3.x to 1.5.x.
    * Subversion data is now stored on a scalable storage infrastructure, permitting us to scale disk capacity more readily and without downtime.
    * Subversion client access has been segmented to a dedicated host pool from that used for ViewVC web-browsing of repositories, reducing the risk of impact from abuse, and allowing service to be scaled for demand.
    * Increased the number of servers providing Subversion services from the old (California) 4 to the new (Chicago) 14.
    * Load balanced directly among all hosts, rather than having hosts dedicated per letter set. This addresses the major risk to Subversion service availability present in our old datacenter.
    * ViewVC configuration updated to more closely match vendor defaults for service more consistent with end-user expectations.
    * Tarball generation enabled within ViewVC, allowing users to easily obtain a full copy of a repository. Performance impact will be assessed under actual production load, and we'll make the decision whether to leave this service feature enabled. Read-only rsync service will remain enabled in either case.
    * Leverage the FRS upload infrastructure to upload files for use in the SVN import feature.

Additional posting will be made to Site Status when the migration has been completed.

If you have any follow-up questions or concerns, please contact us by Support Request at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/alexandria/support/

Thank you,

Jacob Moorman
Director of Operations, SourceForge.net