Subject: BPEL4People TC - Which Accepted Issues to Work On?

As your neutral chair I will of course abide by the TC's collective wisdom. :-)

However in my view there are two overlapping but distinct questions to resolve: (1) in what setting does the work to create draft resolutions get done and (2) who does the work. I think our collaboration model need to address both. So while email and triage notions expressed below are worthwhile, IMHO they address (1) more than (2).

I look forward to the discussion at this week's TC!

Regards, Dave Ings,
Emerging Software Standards
Email: ings@ca.ibm.com
Yahoo Messenger: dave_ings
----- Forwarded by Dave Ings/Toronto/IBM on 2008/05/12 10:27 PM -----

Ron Ten-Hove <Ronald.Ten-Hove@Sun.COM>

Mark Ford <mark.ford@activevos.com>

Dave Ings/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, bpel4people@lists.oasis-open.org

2008/05/12 09:50 PM

Re: [bpel4people] BPEL4People TC - Which Accepted Issues to Work On?

Mark,

+1. Con-call and F2F time should be focused on the really tough issues, where we need to utilize the higher bandwidth and synchronous nature of "live" communication (voice & visual). In addition, email works as a way of "setting the stage" for some issues, allowing the whole TC to get up to speed on the details (and complexities) of a particular issue.

I was part of the WS-BPEL TC from the start, and I'm sure it lasted more than 12 years. :-) I particularly recall that we took about three years to resolve issue 11. There were several failed attempts to solve that issue, and the email record helped form a type of institutional memory for the TC, so that we avoided retrying previous solutions. It also helped new folks get up to speed on many of our "chronic" issues, as you experienced. I sincerely hope we won't take so long on the current specs!

I think we should save the "form a subcommittee" move for when it is appropriate. If we discover a fair-sized chunk of the spec is of interest to only a few members of the TC, it may speed things up to form a subcommittee to consider it in parallel with the main TC's work. We shouldn't embrace this as a standard issue-solving strategy. I'm not sure anything in BPEL4People and WS-HT will qualify for subcommittee treatment under this sort of rule, but I could be wrong.

--Ron