Subject: JIRA Linking Update

Hi, I had an action item to talk to Mike Edwards about JIRA linking.

Mike has configured two kinds of linking for us - "relates to" (a logical bi-directional link) and "depends on" (a logical uni-directional link). There are apparently several other kinds of links but I'm sure that will suffice for 99% of our use cases.

There is a UI quirk you should be aware of. When you create a link you'll see a drop-down (UI control) in which "relates to" appears twice. Mike isn't quite sure why that is the case, but as far as he can tell it doesn't make any difference which "relates to" you pick.

Finally, you need to be logged on to JIRA to create a link in a previously opened issue, so (if recollection is correct) that means that this ability is currently restricted to members of the editing subcommittee and myself. (There is no particular TC policy or standing rule driving this restriction - we just didn't want to swamp Mike with administrivia and so gave him a relatively short list of IDs to prime in JIRA).

I will create the links that we discussed at the most recent TC.

Any questions, let me know.

Regards, Dave Ings,
Emerging Software Standards
Email: ings@ca.ibm.com