Subject: Discussion of BP-35 (suspend/resume)

Dieter, Gerhard and I had a discussion about this issue (http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/BP-35).

We think suspend addresses two distinct scenarios:
-- An administrative scenario, where a task is still in state ready, not claimed by anyone, but should not yet be worked on -- an administrator can suspend the task to prevent people wasting their time by starting to work on it prematurely.
-- A follow-up scenario, where a task is already claimed and/or being worked on, and the owner decides to put it on hold for a certain amount of time, using suspendUntil (in theory this could also be done by an admin). It won't show up in queries asking for ready, reserved or inProgress tasks, and will re-appear after the specified duration.

Thus, authorization for suspend/suspendUntil should be restricted to administrators and actual owners, and exclude potential owners, to prevent ordinary users from interfering with the first scenario. We propose to update section 6.1.1 of the spec accordingly.

Timers of the task continue to run in both scenarios, as timers are used to enforce execution of the task within time constraints, e.g., of an overall process, beyond the individual task. As BP-35 suggests, we propose to spell this out explicitly, by adding respective text to 4.7.4. We also propose to add text to 4.7.4 to explicitly address suspendUntil, which currently is only introduced in the API table.

Viele Grüße/Kind regards,
-Dieter, Gerhard, Matthias

 Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
 Geschäftsführung: Erich Baier
 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature