Subject: B4P Routing Patterns - IBM Comments

Dear B4P TC members!

We reviewed the proposed spec extensions for composite tasks, sub tasks,
and routing patterns:
(
http://www.osoa.org/jira/secure/attachment/10456/Patterns-in-ws-humantask-on-cd02_merge.doc.
)

As a general comment, we like the way our joint work has been translated
into the spec language. Besides some points already made by SAP (in inline
comments), we would like to add the following.

1. We believe that the current completion behavior section should be split
into separate early completion criteria and result aggregation sections, as
completion criteria applies to both composite tasks and routing patterns.
In addition, result aggregation should be added to routing patterns.

Following the ideas presented at the the Stuttgart F2F, we will take an
action to propose additional spec text for result aggregation. This is
already work in progress and we think we can have it ready for the TC call
on May 13.

The basic priciple is to allow adding result aggregation elements for leave
elements of an output document produced by a parallel routing pattern.
      <htd:resultAggregation location="query" condition="bool-expr"
aggregationFunction="function-expr" />
The location points to the leave element, the condition can be used like an
XPath predicate to reduce the node-set that is aggregated, and the
aggregationFunction is then applied to the node-set, producing the
aggregated value that is set in the combined output document.

2. We would still prefer using subtasks as implementation model for both
parallel and sequential routing patterns. The spec should explicitly allow
this, potentially as an alternative. Note however that this will affect the
externally visible behavior, e.g. in subtasks and their states exposed via
query APIs.

Kind Regards

Dieter König

Senior Technical Staff Member, WebSphere Process Server Architect
IBM Software Group, Application and Integration Middleware Software
WSS Business Process Solutions

  Phone:            +49-7031-16-3426           IBM Deutschland                      (Embedded
                                                                                  image moved
                                                                                     to file:
                                                                                pic26435.gif)

  E-Mail:           dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com    Schönaicher Str. 220