Subject: RE: [bpel4people] BP-73: Priority of a Task and Potential Owner Privilege (1/3)

Hi Alan,

I do not want to nitpick, but what you refer to as ‘the battle for resources’ should be considered in the larger context of what-should-WE-work-on-first. I see your point of wanting to organize your inbox, but this is distinct from the task priority in the  greater context of a process, and the priority should not, therefore, be modified in the more personal context of an individual’s inbox; for that you would need another property.

I think it is important to see the potential issues resulting from the so-called ‘clash of interests’ and to note that, if we are not careful, the intended priority--and thus the overall expected progress of the process--can be affected. Again, I don’t believe that, based on their personal inbox preference, individuals (Potential Owners--the keyword here is ‘potential’) should modify the priority of a task which is not intended solely for them.

Regarding Task Owners, I think you bring up a good example and we should talk about this on today.

I suppose you can always interpret the term ‘priority’ to mean a range of things, but as I see it defined in the spec and when I look at the problem from the process perspective, I think potential owners should not be able to modify task priorities.

Regards,

Alireza