Subject: Re: [bpel4people] Groups - HT-Architecture including rendering (HT Architecture v0-9-2.docx) uploaded

Dear Frank,

As Alex and Phil have been commenting, this document spells out many architecture details clearly and it is excellent.

Now I understand that it seems you are not talking about implementing Tasks as remote Web services??? You are giving the Task UI definitions as <rendering> in HT definition and the Task Processor (or the Task Client) to manage/render the Task. WS-C is used between the Task Parent and the Task.

I had a different notion that the Task had to be implemented by another Web Service, and the WS-HT was just a definition pointing to the EPR in the <interface>, since how to call the WS-HT itself from the BEPL4People process has been defined already.  I understood that that was how the Task Parent called the Task pT to instantiate the Task. Also, I thought that the WS-C was for between the Task instance and the Task Implementation (which is another Web Service). In this scheme, one does not need to specify <rendering> like HTMLForm in detail. Only need to specify as <taskUI> i.e. it could be URL or EPR, where it is and how to call it, and the type. The Task Client will work it out the rest, if it can handle the types.

Also, it is not still clear to me that how the "6 Programming Interfaces" is related with this. I thought that it was rather for the managing relationship between the Task Parent and the Task, and that the WS-C was used for other purpose. But I suppose that the Programming Interface manages the life cycle of the Task Parent in your picture???

Finally, could you please put the Task List Client in the picture as it has been described as below, so that we all could understand it better? That the Task be presented to a potential owners by the Task Client for claiming, in your description and the writing, is not correct. It has to be presented by the Task List Client, who later calls the Task Client for Task UI rendering.

Best regards,
Yoichi

WS-HT CD02, R4

3.3 Task Rendering
Humans require a presentation interface to interact with a machine. This specification  covers the
721
service interfaces that enable this to be accomplished, and enables this in different constellations
722
of software from different parties. The key elements are the task list client, the task engine and
723
the applications invoked when a task is executed.
724
It is assumed that a single task instance can be rendered by different task list clients so the task
725
engine does not depend on a single dedicated task list client. Similarly it is assumed that one task
726
list client can present tasks from several task engines in one homogenous list and can handle the
727
tasks in a consistent manner. The same is assumed for notifications.
728
A distinction is made between the rendering of the meta-information associated with the task or
729
notification (task-description UI and task list UI) (see section 4.3 for more details on presentation
730
elements) and the rendering of the task or notification itself (task-UI) used for task execution (see
731
section 4.4 for more details on task rendering). For example, the task-description UI includes the
732
rendering of a summary list of pending or completed tasks and detailed meta-information such as
733
a deadlines, priority and description about how to perform the task. It is the task list client that
734
deals with this.
735
The task-UI can be rendered by the task list client or delegated to a rendering application invoked
736
by the task list client. The task definition and notification definition can define different rendering
737
information for the task-UI using different rendering methodologies.
738
Versatility of deployment determines which software within a particular constellation performs the
739
presentation rendering.
740
The task-UI can be specified by a rendering method within the task definition or notification
741
definition. The rendering method is identified by a unique name attribute and specifies the type of
742
rendering technology being used. A task or a notification may can have more than one such
743
rendering method, e.g. one method for each environment the task or notification is accessed from
744
(e.g. workstation, mobile device).
745
The task-list UI encompasses all information crucial for understanding the importance of and
746
details about a given task or notification (e.g. task priority, subject and description) - typically in a
747
table-like layout. Upon selecting a task, i.e. an entry in case of a table-like layout, the user is
748
given the opportunity to launch the corresponding task-UI. The task-UI has access to the task
749
instance data, and may can comprise and manipulate documents other than the task instance. It
750
can be specified by a rendering method within the task description.
751

Yoichi Takayama, PhD
Senior Research Fellow
RAMP Project
MELCOE (Macquarie E-Learning Centre of Excellence)
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY

Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 9073
Fax: +61 (0)2 9850 6527
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY: CRICOS Provider No 00002J

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of Macquarie E-Learning Centre Of Excellence (MELCOE) or Macquarie University.