Subject: [bpel4people] Issue BP-85, Sequential routing pattern & sub-tasks- Proposal

Gerhard and I put together the proposal below for issue BP-85. We propose this to be included in section 4.6.1.2 Sequential Pattern in the patterns proposal This is along the lines of what was discussed in the patterns sub team.

Proposal
WS-HT implementations provide routing tasks with sequential assignment by creating one main task for the sequential routing pattern and one sub task for each sequential assignment. Each sub task identifies its parent using the htd:parentTaskId. As an optimization to reduce the number of sub tasks created a WS-HT implementation MAY choose instead of creating sub tasks to assign the main task instance to each of the potential owners of the sequential assignment in sequence.

If sub tasks are used for sequential pattern, when a task list is retrieved by an administrator, the administrator sees both the main task and the sub task. In the optimization case there are no sub tasks, and thus the administrator will see just the main task.

Thanks,
Ravi