Subject: Proposal for BP-103 Updated (was: AW: [bpel4people] Draft Proposalfor BP-103)

Please find attached an updated version of the proposal for BP-103.

I made the following changes that hopefully address concerns that Matthias raised:

>One comment: In line 352 you say "The default value for this attribute is “manual”.", while the sentence before says that "For routing patterns, the completionAction attribute MUST have value "automatic"."

>This doesn't seem very friendly. Either we should have different defaults depending on task type (I know, cannot be expressed in XSD), or the default should be a value that is supported in all cases.

I expect it would be good to have one element - htd:completionBehavior – that can be “reused” in different ws-ht elements. This implies that the element has the same behavior independent of the enclosing element. I assume that one default value is preferable. I changed the proposal so that the default is “automatic” not.

>Also I am wondering why you mandate execution of the completion condition for composite tasks "· Whenever a duration specified in a htd:waitFor call has elapsed

>· Whenever an absolute time specified in a htd:waitUntil call is passed.", but not for "plain" tasks: "For tasks, the completion conditions are evaluated while the task is in state „inProgress".

>Implementations MAY decide when and how often the completion conditions are evaluated." IMO, the behavior should have the same level of predictability, so given only time-based expressions can be used for plain tasks,

>the two bullets affecting time-based expressions in composite tasks should also be enforced for plain tasks.

The proposal now says:

For tasks, the preprocessed completion condition MUST be evaluated at the following times:

·         Before starting the task (it may be complete before it starts)

·         Whenever a duration specified in a htd:waitFor call has elapsed

·         Whenever an absolute time specified in a htd:waitUntil call is passed.

One additional change has been proposed:

“When the containing task or composite task is created, the actual parameter expression for any htd:waitFor and htd:waitUntil calls MUST be evaluated and the completion condition should be rewritten to replace these calls with only htd:waitUntil calls with constant parameters.”

Instead of

“When the containing task or composite task begins execution, the actual parameter expression for any htd:waitFor and htd:waitUntil calls MUST be evaluated and the completion condition should be rewritten to replace these calls with only htd:waitUntil calls with constant parameters.”

I expect that the completion condition would need to be “rewritten” earlier, e.g. as soon as the task is created and not when the task is moved to state “inProgress”.

Regards,

Ivana

Ivana Trickovic
Standards Architect
SAP AG
Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16
69190 Walldorf, Germany
T +49 6227 7-63228
F +49 6227 78-33160
M +49 151 57118422
mailto:ivana.trickovic@sap.com
www.sap.com

Pflichtangaben/Mandatory Disclosure Statements: http://www.sap.com/company/legal/impressum.epx
Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.