bt-messaging message

Subject: RE: Let's get to work

Hatem sent

(pruned to the paragraph I'm asking about)

> 2) With regards to whether or not the BTP message is carried in the header
> or the payload, I think we should resolve this issue soon since it will
> impact the format of the message. Of course placing the message in the
> payload would be less invasive to the carrier protocol, but it
> would impose
> a heavy processing price if the message is digitally signed.

I don't understand the last part. If BTP is used with application messages
that are signed, the BTP messages themselves need to be secured to at least
the same trust level. An attacker able to fake BTP messages can subvert the
authentication of the application, so they would need to be in the same
secured part of the total message.

Or is the point to do with re-processing of payload, but not headers, as the
combination is passed along ?

But we do need to sort out the general BTP message : header / payload
relationship anyway.  We're trying to sort out the implications and options
arising from the combined message (nee box-carring) decisions. (or
recommendations, from Tuesday's meeting)

Peter

Peter Furniss
Technical Director, Choreology Ltd
email:  peter.furniss@choreology.com