bt-models message

Subject: Re: interposition requirements

At 10:48 AM 5/1/01 +0100, Mark Little wrote:

>Mark (2)
>I always assumed that different web services sites has different
>participants (sub-coordinator), at least one, but might have more. Looks
>like it is one of the condition to be a BTP aware site (application) thus
>I do not see a sub-coordinator propagation, may be I misunderstand what
>you mean by sub-coordinator propagation...
>
>Not sure which Mark you mean, but I'll take a stab at it: first I don't
>see that the participant and the sub-coordinator have to be different;

Per f2f definitions a service and a participant are different interfaces
(they may be the same entity - implemantation detail) , a service has a
business function interface while a participant has a BTP interface.

>  if a participating web service wants to propagate the context to other,
> back-end (for example) web services then as well as doing it's own work
> when it's told to "prepare" it sends this message to those back-end
> services, i.e., it acts like a sub-coordinator.

It simply invokes a new service (depending on the context the
sub-coordinator of service invoked may register with the root coordinator
or with our sub-coordinator.)

>However, in order to do this, when it propagates the context to these
>additional services it needs to re-write the context slightly so that the
>coordinator URL is no longer the one that it received, but itself.
>Obviously this means that the web service must support the coordinator
>interface and appropriate functionality; if it can't then it can't do
>interposition - it's as simple as that.
>We (at the f2f meeting) almost agreed on that there are interfaces for the
>roles such as initiator, coordinator, participant (sub-coordinator) and
>the service then it is up to the application (and web service site) to
>implement these interfaces as a single entity or different entities..
>
>I don't think a participant *has* to be a sub-coordinator. If it's a leaf
>node, and does no further invocations to other BTP-aware services, then
>it's not coordinating anything other than its own work. Even if it does
>propagate the context, it may be physically unable to act as a
>sub-coordinator anyway.

Whether the service invoked implements both a business service interface
and a BTP interface depends on the implementation but as far as BTP
concerened there is an interface to coordinate the transaction, it might be
the service it self - we don't know.