bt-models message

Subject: RE: Sanjay's simplification

I was thinking about what gets lost with the "refined negotiation" that
involved vote changing and the multiple prepares etc.  At first it seemed we
were losing some ability to avoid contradictions, but I think this was
partly a hang-over from old-style, centralised transaction thinking. The
fundamental difference between old-style and BTP is that in old-style, the
"participants" are slaves who are required (designed) to obey, in BTP they
are volunteers who impose conditions on their level of commitment.

So in this case, we can consider the autonomous decisions of the participant
as something that occurs at a time determined by the participants own
circumstances, and that this time is fundamentally unaffected by what is
going on with these protocol messages. Asking it for extra promises won't
change when that cancellation happens.  The participant will often not know
when this time is (e.g. the restaurant booking - the cancellation of your
unconfirmed (and expired) reservation will occur when another party arrives
to take the last table). If this happens to occur at a time when the
superior is deciding to confirm, there is a contradiction. The superior
could send another prepare, and a participant might decide in consequence to
issue CANCELLED earlier than it would otherwise (this is sort of changing
the vote, but really it is indistinguishable from the autonomous decision)

With this change, a re-send of PREPARE does *not* mean the obligations
implicit in the earlier READY offer (vote) are dropped - they still apply
with the same strength as before (i.e. an autonomous decision can be made).

Simplifies quite a lot.

(I've been deliberately using the term "autonomous" decision, rather than
heuristic. In fact they are equivalent, and the participant timeouts are
essentially warnings of (greatly) increased probablility of the decision.
But heuristic smacks of rare and exceptional, whereas, with the timeouts,
they could be common.)

Peter

Peter Furniss
Technical Director, Choreology Ltd