Subject: RE: [bt-spec] Messaging issues

This synchronous request/response model works well with web services.  I
think that support for this model is necessary for BTP to succeed.  This
specific use needs to be described and captured in a profile.
For the binding alternatives proposed by Pal 2 and 3 are redundant and 3
should not be supported.  Support for both 2 and 3 will only confuse
people

> Alternative 1:
>
> sender --> HTTP req + SOAP + BTP "req" --> receiver
> sender <-- HTTP res + SOAP + BTP "res" <-- receiver
>
> Alternative 2:
>
> sender --> HTTP req + SOAP + BTP "req" --> receiver
> sender <-- HTTP res + SOAP (empty)  <-- receiver
>
> sender <-- HTTP req + SOAP + BTP "res" <-- receiver
> sender --> HTTP res + SOAP (empty)  --> receiver
>
> Alternative 3:
>
> sender --> HTTP req + SOAP + BTP "req" --> receiver
> sender <-- HTTP res 200  <-- receiver
>
> sender <-- HTTP req + SOAP + BTP "res" <-- receiver
> sender --> HTTP res 200  --> receiver

Alastair has brought up some important points on what this means for
the coordinator relationships (inability to perform failure recovery
between superior and inferior coordinators was specific example
provided).  The need to support the request/response paradigm has
come up several times at meetings.  If we need to support it, and I
believe that we do, we will first need to quantify the impact on the
current spec and publication schedule then look at how to address it.

=bill