Subject: RE: [bt-spec] Messaging issues

Just quickly, from Johannesburg:

Pal sent:

> According to my recollection most of the BTP messages pair up as request
> response: BEGIN/BEGUN. ENROL/ENROLED etc.
> So allowing an RPC style binding seems natural to me.

No, they don't quite (at least, not on the superior/inferior relationship) -
and it is the "quite" that makes request/response inappropriate in general,
though feasible in particular instances.

ENROL doesn't always get ENROLLED (in one shot especially)

spontaneous-PREPARED means you can get PREPARED without a prior PREPARE
(also relevant to one-shot)

autonomous cancel and confirm cause a CANCELLED or CONFIRMED to be sent to
the Superior before (or even crossing with) the CANCEL or CONFIRM.

Pairing the names is a convenience as it is appropriate to the "normal"
pattern, but a major point of BTP, driven by the independent nature of the
resource-holders (Participants) is that the "normal" is not the only
pattern.

Peter