Subject: RE: [bt-spec] BTP Issue 58 : Minor editorials

I've changed my mind on some of these.  On checking with Fowler's Modern English Usage, it says that i.e. should not be followed by a comma unless the sense requires one, to introduce a parenthesis for instance. Accordingly, I propose rejecting the minor editorials that change "i.e." to "i.e.,".  I don't believe any of them require a comma.

On e.g., Fowler says "italics, and a following comma" are unnecessary but not wrong. (It also says they should be reserved for footnotes or very concise writing - I assume this specification should be counted concise, even if it is long).  However, commas after e.g. look funny to me, so I propose rejecting the "e.g." to "e.g.," changes too.

Peter
-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Furniss [mailto:peter.furniss@choreology.com]
Sent: 09 November 2001 13:14
To: bt-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

Some of Mark's corrections were also picked up by Alex (issue 12) and Gordon (issue 14)

I propose we accept the editorials (leaving the items identified as separate issues for separate consideration), with the following variations:

line 434 : Gordon's text preferred

line 580 : prefer to make the text: "an Atomic Superior will apply the same decision to all of its Inferiors; a Cohesive Superior may apply confirm to some Inferiors and cancel to others"

line 880: prefer Alex's text

line 910 : prefer to make it ".. to supply a new address or set of addresses to replace the old one." rather than " .. a new address(es) ...

Peter