Subject: RE: [bt-spec] BTP Issue 29 : Redirection

Redirection is not in BTP as a general purpose capability, but because it is needed to make BTP, as a recoverable transaction protocol, work within the loose, heterogeneous environment we are targetting. It's the recoverable nature of BTP that makes it essential - the superior:inferior relationship is expected to survive failure, and, since we are talking about long-running transactions (for some sense of "long") also needs to survive deliberate shutdown. It isn't a matter of including transport functionality, but of making BTP work. (if some already existing transport mechanism had this functionality, we might be able to use that instead, but there isn't one, so we have to roll our own)

For some implementation strategies, a recovered/restored BTP actor will always come back at the same place, for all time. But for others, it seems the address might be different - either on a relatively short timescale ( process lifetime, system restart) or relatively long (but still shorter than the lifetime of "long-running" transactions.) - system upgrade for example.   And remember the "address" is not just the binding address (a URL for SOAP bindings) but includes the additional-information, which might definitely be process-specific.

The existence of the REDIRECT capability (and the set of addresses) makes it possible for implementors to choose whether they use a fixed-for-all-time address or a more dynamic mechanism. (similar to the differences between LU 6.2 and OTS in this regard actually).

REDIRECT could only be removed from BTP if the following assertion is acceptable:

"All BTP implementations must ensure that any recovered BTP actor has exactly the same address when it is restored after failure as it had originally."

Splitting REDIRECT out seems problematic because it would suggest this was a general-purpose facility, and that would then mean we ought to consider other potential uses and requirements. Keeping it inside means it does what we need, and that's all. (Interesting to compare with the multiplexing sub-protocol in TIP - this was originally proposed as general purpose, but was confined to TIP only. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been taken up for anything else - whereas BEEP is general purpose, and does have multiplexing, and is being built on)

I would propose no technical change.

Peter

Peter Furniss
Technical Director, Choreology Ltd