Subject: Re: [bt-spec] BTP Issue 22 : Lack of accountability reflected fromD0.6to D0.9

Dear Bill,

I think you are dealing with three distinct issues.

1. Establishing accountability
2. Writing history
3. Explaining the rationale for features

I believe that no-one is attempting to assert that the changes between 0.6 and 0.9 were "freelancing". The documentary record is there; it shows either the direct pursuit by the editors/writers of minuted and well-discussed decisions, or the inevitable changes that result in the course of converting decisions in principle into precise text.

I therefore believe that accountability is established. Surely we can put that part of this debate in the filing cabinet of history?

Which brings us to the writing of history. It might be nice to read the history of BTP, one day. I enjoyed Don Box's "A Brief History of SOAP". Right now, I would prefer to read the finalized BTP specification, and then its accompanying primer.

I think there is very little precedent (if any) for including historical explanations of evolution in standards documents. The historical record of BTP is extraordinarily accessible thanks to the Web and OASIS' excellent policy of openness. How can one find out why OTS is the way it is? Or XA? (Or a thousand other standards). In such cases you either have to have been there, or you have be on drinking terms with those who were.

I suspect that the revised introduction/model section that Peter is currently working on in the light of the Liberty Corner meeting will address the perceived lack of "rationale" -- which I think is a distinct issue (both in substance, and procedurally on the list).

Yours,

Alastair

William Cox wrote:

The original issue is at the end of this email.

I will be satisfied if a "revision history" (non-normative appendix)
were maintained in the draft, mentioning significant changes from the
respective previous drafts. The issue said "Alistair and Peter's email
is a start;" taking that start and including the steps to current draft
is fine.

Some of the changes will need detailed rationale in the draft explaining
the choices and reasoning behind selecting the alternative used (and
yes, this draft still needs rationale in-line). The point of the
original Issue 22 was that the thought processes and evolution and
consensus behind that evolution was not visible at all in the document.
That concern still holds (pending the re-insertion of rationale and
other explanatory material).

This could be instantiated as a simpler, new issue (depending on Peter's
preference) and the original satisfied, or we could update the present
issue 22 with a new title.

bill cox

Category: editorial
Submitter: Bill Cox, (for all BEA members)
Submitter's identification: issue A. This issue was marked as
"procedural and editorial" by the submitter
Problem:
The transitions from D0.6 to D0.9 (including the "not distributed"
drafts 0.7, 0.72, and 0.8) were not
clearly based in decisions of the working group. Instead, to all
appearances, the document changed
rapidly and without consultation. If we take the time series from Draft
0.6 to date, it looks like we
should be at draft 1.5 in a few more weeks.
Proposed Remedy:
Enumerate the changes (Alistair and Peter's email is a start), then
discuss and vote on each in turn.
Include rationale, or contemporaneous minutes, supporting the decisions
made.

begin:vcard
n:Green;Alastair
tel;cell:+44 795 841 2107
tel;fax:+44 207 670 1785
tel;work:+44 207 670 1780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.choreology.com
org:Choreology Ltd
version:2.1
email;internet:alastair.green@choreology.com
title:Managing Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;13 Austin Friars=0D=0A;London;;EC2N 2JX;
fn:Alastair Green
end:vcard