Subject: Re: [bt-spec] Issue 6 - Informative appendices

At 02:21 PM 1/24/02 +0000, Tony Fletcher wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

 Issue 6:
Should the informative appendices be re-instated in the spec, or left for incorporation in the intended primer. (They were dropped between 0.6 to 0.9 as part of the removal of explanatory and tutorial material - in consequence, the list of authors was modified, dropping the appendix authors).

Sazi Temel wrote:
 I think the appendices should be out of the spec., but some of the information in them may be put into the explanatory section that makes the case for BTP. For example, an example of how BPML or WSPL may use BTP could be (briefly) in the explanatory section, but entire appendices are to much to be included in to the spec.

Tony now writes:  I agree with Sazi for several reasons.  One is that a thinner spec will be look less daunting to first time readers.  At the Liberty Corner Face 2 Face we agreed to to add a model section to the spec with the aim of explaining to readers the meaning of the remainder of the spec.  We also agreed that team of people should work on the primer and they can either use the Appendix material in the body of the primer or add the appendices (presumably revised to be up to date) to the primer.  We may need to come back to security in a future version of the spec.

Proposed resolution:
The Glossary Appendix remains part of the specification (to be updated as called for in issue 4).  The appendices on 'Examples and Use cases', BTP and Business Process Management' and 'BTP and Security' are omitted from the BTP specification and considered as input material for the primer.

I still think the appendices should be out of spec, but may be considered officially as supporting docs for BTP. They are not only input docs for primer but docs at the same level - by the way what is the status of primer in this context, part of spec?

I think this approach used in other OASIS specs too, for example ebXML has a lot off supporting materials listed but not part of the spec.

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher
Choreology Ltd., 13 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2JX     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 20 76701787         Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)

Sazi Temel
'
bea Systems Inc.        e-mail: sazi.temel@bea.com
140 Allen Road          phone: (1) 908 580 3123
Liberty Corner, NJ 07938        web:
http://www.bea.com