Subject: RE: [bt-spec] Issue 15 - Negative reply to BEGIN

Hi Mark,

I guess that the spec is not very heavy at present on error reporting - it takes a relatively light, but probably adequate, touch.  I think that what you are highlighting is actually a problem when you have more than one BTP message travelling together - which one does a FAULT message in reply refer to?  I suppose one could use a qualifier on FAULT to point to the message / parameter that caused the problem.

With regards to BEGIN, would you like to propose some text for us to consider?

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher
Choreology Ltd., 13 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2JX     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 20 76701787         Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Little [mailto:mark_little@hp.com]
Sent: 24 January 2002 15:57
To: Tony Fletcher; BT - spec

Change meaning of WrongState to:  The message has arrived when the recipient or the transaction is in an inappropriate state.

If people feel that this is still not clear then could add a paragraph just above section on 'Roles involved in the outcome relationships' ) line 588 in Version 0.9.1 to say.

The FAULT message is used on all the relationships as a general negative reply to a message.  Thus all roles are required to be able to send and receive FAULT messages, where appropriate, even though they are not shown in the list for each role below.
This still doesn't make it clear for BEGIN that an associated context may well be the cause of the Fault. Can we not be even more explicit in the actual description of the BEGIN?

Mark.

Dr. Mark Little, Distinguished Engineer,
Transactions Architect, HP Arjuna Labs
Email: mark_little@hp.com
Phone: +44 191 2606216
Fax  : +44 191 2606250