Subject: Re: [bt-spec] Issue 15 - Negative reply to BEGIN

Also, do we describe what should happen if fault occurs for 2nd out of 3-related-message group compound message? Should actions of the whole group be reversed or only of the failed message? Compound messages are processed in order. That means, if 2nd message fails, 3rd message is never processed. However, what about the effects of the 1st message? Should it be reversed? This is even difficult if an application message is present in that group. Is the effect of compound message group atomic? I think not. So, it seems failures in Compound Messages deserve a paragraph or two in "Failure Recovery" section to address all such questions.
Funnily enough we've been having exactly this conversation ourselves. As far as related messages go, we think you should stop immediately on the first failure since there may well be some semantic knowledge about the relationship that BTP doesn't (and can't) know, e.g., "do the first and if that succeeds do the second and if that succeeds do the third". However, for unrelated messages it's more an open call.

Mark.

Dr. Mark Little, Distinguished Engineer,
Transactions Architect, HP Arjuna Labs
Email: mark_little@hp.com
Phone: +44 191 2606216
Fax  : +44 191 2606250