Subject: RE: [bt-spec] URIs and address-as-X (MAJOR)

> Peter:
>
> I always meant URI. My normal form of the URI for the work I'm currently
> doing is the URL, but it is clear in my mind that URIs are used throughout
> BTP. As for URNs, the unique resolution of a URN to an entity must rely on
> either some rules defined by the protocol within whose context
> the URN sits,
> or else defined by some proprietaty means.

No, you meant URL.  URNs do not "sit within the context of a protocol".
They are unambiguous names for things. They no more tell you where something
is than "UK Passport number 020011112" tells you where it or its holder is.

> The fact remains: URIs can be used as a globally unambiguous naming
> mechanism, whose form is defined according to the rules of the
> protocol that
> the particular URI is bound to, which is more conventional (i.e.
> accessible
> to the lay person) and loses nothing in expressiveness over the current
> address+identifier scheme.

I agree it is better than the current (0.9.1) address+identifier scheme.

We think it is worse than the proposed 77, 78  location-unaware identifier,
identification-independent address scheme.

Peter

Peter Furniss
Technical Director, Choreology Ltd
web: http://www.choreology.com