Subject: RE: [business-transaction] Re: [bt-spec] URIs and address-as-X (M AJOR)

Hey Peter:

> is there one, opaque, Identifier for the
> transaction/inferior/etc and the location information is
> separate or several, each containing location information.

I think each identifier should be able to resolve to an endpoint
irrespective of the "supporting literature."

> We really meant *any* URI, from *any* scheme, URL or URI,
> just provided it obeys the rule that it is a globally
> unambiguous identification for the state, and recognised
> where the (separate) addresses take you.
>
> So, since I knew somewhat of them at one time, using arjuna
> guid's directly, with an appropriate short prefix
> (urn:hp:xts:24823943:42304208:2409234:42342
> ? :-) would be a possibility.

Yes, if you so chose. Of course this is a proprietary binding that is only
published inside the Arjuna lab, so it won't be much use to anyone else.

BTW someone in marketing decided to change its name to WST :-)

> Then the addressing fields can be left to themselves, and the
> binding-address almost certainly would be a regular URL, just
> waiting to be dropped into your soap toolkit.

Eh? Only if I then decide to take my proprietary Arjuna bindings and mangle
them into some other scheme. The URN you describe above is valid in my
domain.

> (whereas
> btp-soap-http-1://pluto.acme.com/sdfsd/fskdlf?940238:349204:32
> 943:342432 has to be mangled, and the binding specification
> has to say how)

Yes and the he supporting logic has to concur. Your SOAP-over-HTTP service
has a known endpoint which might well be what you've written above. How the
information gets from the wire up to your service is the business of
whatever you've built the service on, according to the bindings you've
picked.

However, that is a concrete example of a URI in use. If the spec does not
try to legislate over what's a valid URI in the abstract sections, then
what's the problem? Of course in a concrete binding, we (or someone else
interested in creating a binding) will have to make some decisions on this,
but c'est la vie.

Jim