Subject: RE: [bt-spec] URI issue subquestion #2

Jim,

The problem you describe was the flaw in the old system - where identifiers
were unambiguous within the scope of the addresses.  They in fact had to be
unambiguous in the scope of all the addresses the entity might migrate to.
That implied some mechanism for dispensing ids.

Which is why our proposal on issue 78 is to require the identifiers to be
*globally* unambiguous. Obviously if an identiifer is unambiguous
everywhere, it is unambiguous in all the places the entity might migrate to.
A hierarchical name scheme makes it easy enough for anything to allocate a
globally unambiguous identifier, and URI's as a whole are thus usable.

In practice, if server A allocates names that include an element that is
assigned to it, then if the entity migrates to server B, then server B will
need to have some sort of look-up (which might well have been needed at A as
well). But how that all works is private to A and B, which are of the same
implementation. It doesn't need to be standardised (unless someone decides
they want to standardise the recovery mechanisms, which is at least a very
long way down the road)

Yes, you could indeed use GUIDs, of whichever species. We propose that the
identifier be syntactically a URI, with the semantic requirement that be
globally unambiguous as an identifier of BTP transactions/inferiors etc. One
way of doing this would be to use the urn:uuid: namespace. Or you could use
an http: uri scheme, including the domain name of the machine it started on.
Or anything else.

Peter