Subject: RE: [bt-spec] BTP Issue 30 : Assume that coordinators are potentialsub-coordinators. (also issue 2)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Little [mailto:mark_little@hp.com]
Sent: 07 February 2002 10:01
To: Peter Furniss; bt-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

So, we propose that answer 1) is chosen.  A Coordinator, once created by BEGIN (no CONTEXT) will be a Decider. Sub-coordinator's are created with BEGIN & CONTEXT.. There is no "late enrollment".- sub-coordinator knows who its Superior is from the beginning.
This is fine by us, but are we still letting the application enrol later? If so, we probably need to put something in the spec. as to what the implications of this are.

PF:  If the application isn't using the standard control interface to create and manipulate the coordinator, then it can certainly enrol later - the problem is how the Coordinator knows it has become a sub-coordinator, and we don't have a standard message to tell it. But a non-standard api certainly could.

Or were you thinking of the application enrolling a new sub-coordinator after the initial application work ?  which (this being the "implications" ? ), it can only safely do if it hasn't sent a CONTEXT_REPLY/ok, which surrenders it's right to do new enrollments.

("late enrollment" in the sense I used meant the enrollment of a btp entity as an inferior after it had already been created and had been able to respond to other operations (like accepting enrollments as a superior, sending prepare to it's inferiors etc), distinct from enrolling it as it is created)

Peter