Subject: Re: [bt-spec] When to garbage collect cohesions?

PF: So it would primarily be a "no more enrols allowed" signal.
Not an explicit signal, as I mentioned in the first email. A specific Qualifier that can go on prepare_inferiors and cancel_inferiors whose interpretation is "if by the end of this invocation the inferior list is empty then remove the transaction".

I agree the scenario is feasible, but since the only cost is the coordinator holding on to internal resources, or the message exchange to clear it, and it only makes a difference if the cohesion has emptied, I rather doubt if its worthwhile.The counterbalancing cost is in specifying, implementing, testing, explaining and documenting the feature.
I disagree that it is much extra cost at all. It is precisely this kind of optimisation that will be important in the take-up (if any) of BTP by traditional TP vendors. Your "only cost" is not necessarily an "only" when you talk to some of these people.
As always, non-standard control APIs could do more. Or a qualifier (std or not) on prepare_inferiors, cancel_inferiors (or even on request_inferiors_status, I guess)

As mentioned above, what we're after is a standard Qualifier that can do this. No extra message, very little extra overhead needed in explaining this to anyone, let alone adding text to the specification.

Mark.

Dr. Mark Little, Distinguished Engineer,
Transactions Architect, HP Arjuna Labs
Email: mark_little@hp.com
Phone: +44 191 2606216
Fax  : +44 191 2606250