Subject: RE: [bt-spec] BTP Issue 99 : PREPARE_INFERIORS andFAULT(InvalidInferior)

Mark and I have batted this one back and forth several times, and I believe we now have some common base with a clear alternative on a detail, so let's take it to a vote.

I tried proposing a two-way choice on issue 60, but Bill merged it. I'd really like to suggest we offer both options on this, as it saves going round twice.  I'm asking that votes in favour should distinguish A or B. And to make things simple (and show how fair minded I am, since I prefer B :-), a Yes vote that doesn't distinguish counts as Yes(A).   But Bill calls the votes.

Proposed solution:

In the description of CANCEL_INFERIORS add:

If one or more of the "inferior-identifier"s in the "inferior-list" is unknown (does not correspond to an enrolled Inferior), a FAULT(Invalid-inferior) shall be returned. It is an implementation option whether CANCEL is sent to any of the Inferiors that are validly idenitfied in the "inferiors-list".

In the description of CONFIRM_INFERIORS add:

If one or more of the "inferior-identifier"s in the "inferior-list" is unknown (does not correspond to an enrolled Inferior), a FAULT(Invalid-inferior) shall be returned. The Decider shall not make a confirm decision and shall not send CONFIRM to any Inferior.

In the description of PREPARE_INFERIORS add:

CHOICE  A:

If one or more of the "inferior-identifier"s in the "inferior-list" is unknown (does not correspond to an enrolled Inferior), a FAULT(Invalid-inferior) shall be returned. The Decider shall not send PREPARE to any Inferior.

CHOICE B:

If one or more of the "inferior-identifier"s in the "inferior-list" is unknown (does not correspond to an enrolled Inferior), a FAULT(Invalid-inferior) shall be returned. It is an implementation option whether PREPARE is sent to any of the Inferiors that are validly idenitfied in the "inferiors-list".

Peter

Peter Furniss
Technical Director, Choreology Ltd
web: http://www.choreology.com