Subject: Re: [bt-spec] Deferred BTP Issue 108 : Participant and serviceidentification

I believe this problem was raised before the decision to defer everything. In our opinion, being able to tie participants in some way to services is so critical to the use of cohesions that without it it's hard to sell them on their useability. As such, we'd like to get this resolved within the 1.0 timeframe.

Mark.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 4:17 PM

This issue has been added to the BTP issue list as a deferred issue, to be considered for a future edition of the spec.

BTP Issue 108 : Participant and service identification

Category: minor technical
Submitter: Mark Little, HP
Note: This issue was discussed on the main btp list for some while before it was
made an identified issue. Description is extracted from the first message of that thread
Basically, in a traditional transaction system users don't see participants they see services or objects. What participants are enlisted with a transaction on behalf of those services and objects isn't really of interest to the user. When it comes to commit or rollback the transaction, it acts on the transaction and not on the individual participants.

Now in BTP that's still the case if I work purely with atoms. However, in the cohesive world, we're in a completely different ball park . Now the "user" has to know explicitly what the participants are and how they are tied to services. Otherwise, it can't use business logic to say "cancel that insurance quote and prepare that one". How does the "user" get this information when all it typically sees is the mechanisms to begin and end a cohesion? When an invocation is made within the scope of a cohesion+atom then the user will have to remember the atom id. But if the invocation is made within a top-level cohesion (no atom) then the user will need to somehow keep track of what participants were enrolled for each service invocation. Otherwise, if the user simply asks "what are the participants" (e.g., via a statuses message) it has no way of knowing that participant X was for service Y.

Now if memory serves, the original proposed solution to this was that participant identifiers could contain service identifying text, e.g., "TaxiService:1234". OK, but this service identification needs to be unique too (obviously). If participants can only be used within atoms then this becomes less of an issue, but I'm not keen on that restriction.

The current specification doesn't mention this problem at all and paints a fairly rosey picture that cohesions can be used out-of-the-box and are going to simplify our lives. If I can't identify which participants to cancel/prepare/confirm then this isn't going to happen. So, I think whatever we decide (and decide we must) we need to put appropriate text in the specification. Otherwise I think people will stick with atoms or end up doing things in a proprietary manner which then breaks one of the basic principles behind BTP (interoperability).

To comment on this issue, please follow-up to this announcement on the bt-spec@lists.oasis-open.org (replying to this message should automatically send your message to that list).

The current draft, with line numbers is available in pdf format and word format.

To add a new issue, please email a description of the issue to Peter Furniss peter.furniss@choreology.com. Please propose a category (technical, minor technical, editorial, minor editorial) and whether the issue proposed for the current edition or a future edition.