Subject: RE: [bt-spec] New issue re: SOAP binding

Dear Anne, Peter and all other BTPers,

I think we need to be a bit careful here as SOAP 1.2 seems to be making this
parameter very definitely optional, if I read it correctly - see
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-soap12-part2-20011217/#soapaction

To quote:
'Some SOAP Receivers using this binding might need certain information to be
readily available outside the message envelope. This binding uses an
externalised expression of the SOAP Action feature to supply this
information.

Use of the SOAP Action feature is OPTIONAL. SOAP Receivers MAY use it as a
hint to optimise processing, but SHOULD NOT require its presence in order to
operate. Support for SOAPAction is OPTIONAL in implementations.
Implementations SHOULD NOT generate or require SOAPAction UNLESS they have a
particular purpose for doing so (e.g., a SOAP Receivers specifies its use).'

This seems to be a significant change to the SOAP over HTTP binding as, as
Anne points out correctly, SOAP 1.1 says that this header must be used (on
the request - silent on response(?)) - see
http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/#_Toc478383528

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher
Choreology Ltd., 13 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2JX     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 20 76701787         Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com <mailto:tony.fletcher@choreology.com>