Subject: Re: [bt-spec] FW: Issue 89

Usual tags ;-)

> Comments intermixed []
>
> Mark Little wrote:
>
> > Comments in the usual "xml-lite" tags.

> > text.

> > ??

> > the
> > > >

> > > [ This MUST have fallen through a hole .. as I always *try* and
provide an
> > > answer be it verbal or written ]
> >
> > <ml>OK</ml>

> > with a

> > official
> > about
> > > >

> > > [ I understand this, there is NO activity going on behind closed doors
..
> > > prefer a conf call as the medium is better for resolving disputes ]
> >
> > <ml>The problem I have with a conference call is that many people on the
TC
> > find it difficult to attend them and if we are to vote on this then we
> > really should try to reach the largest audience possible. An educated
vote
> > is obviously what we would want to achieve. So, if we did a
teleconference
> > then we would have to minute it in detail and send that round and then
get
> > feedback from people on the mailing list and ...
> >
> > And purely on a personal basis, at the moment I'm spending more than
enough
> > time on teleconferences. Email I can do from home or anywhere.
> > </ml>
> >

> [ I know the feeling - we can work quicker verbally, agree or not on the
issues
> then doc them ]

<ml>Perhaps we should schedule this for the next BTP teleconference?</ml>

> > [
> > <ml>I'd just like to stress a couple of point again:
> >
> > (i) we have never said that this functionality isn't required, only that
it
> > may already be possible in another way and that we should take it one
step
> > at a time: let's learn to walk as a specification committee before we
try to
> > run. IMO the 1.0 version of the specification will be like any other 1.0
> > I've ever seen: people will look at it and find fault with it and the
1.1
> > version will be the one that most people will use. So, let's do this in
> > 1.1 timeframe where we have more time to carefully consider our options.
> >
> > (ii) the business case you briefly outlined does look at first glance
like
> > it could be done using interposition (subcoordination). From a protocol
> > point of view I'd like to see this explored to see why (and if) it
doesn't
> > match your requirements.
> >
> > </ml>
> >

> [ I am VERY open to exploring your ideas, I need this functionality in
version 1
> ]

<ml>Do you need this from an implementation point of view or a model point
of view? I can see why you might want to do something like peer-level
replication, but I don't see people calling out for it for heterogeneous
systems. And if we're living in a homogeneous environment then implementers
can do this in a more efficient manner than serialising XML. Large-scale
replication (large in big physical separation) cannot be done efficiently if
you want to maintain strong consistency. Using SOAP and XML almost
implicitly ties you to having to use a weak consistency replication protocol
and in which case there is (essentially) no lock-step. If we're not talking
about large-scale (e.g., the peers are close together on the same LAN) then
I'd much rather replicate states using RMI/IIOP/tcp-ip/or pretty much
anything other than SOAP and XML to get better performance and
efficiency.</ml>

<ml>On a requirement point, can you say at what stage you would expect the
state to be transferred from one peer to another? Are you talking about
transferring the state during the termination protocol or at some quiescent
points? How do you prevent multiple peers attempting to terminate the same
set of participants?</ml>

> > the
> > meant
> > time